Author Topic: New Classic Center in Mercedes Enthusiast  (Read 2700 times)

TA250SL

New Classic Center in Mercedes Enthusiast
« on: June 27, 2005, 00:11:10 »
The June Mercedes Enthusiast publication has a story about the new MB Classic Center set to open this September in Irvine, California.  There is a list of the 34 cars to be displayed, from an 1886 model to a 2002 E55 AMG, and of course, a red 1968 280sl.  Many are on a 3-year rotation from Fellbach.  The new facility will feature a museum, a sales showroom with restored and original cars, restoration and service facilities, a boutique, and a parts department headed by our friend Tom Hanson.  The service team will be headed by Jeff Cote previously of Hatch and Son.

Tom
1967 250SL
Los Angeles

bpossel

Re: New Classic Center in Mercedes Enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 05:50:45 »
A question about the Classic Center in NJ....

Does anyone know why they discontinued the Tech line?  Is this temporary?  Will the new center in Irvine have a tech line?

Thanks,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 09:32:30 »
This passed weekend I meet with Tom Hanson and my wife and I along with two other people got a look inside the new classic center in California. Though under construction we were able to see the different area, entrance were the gift shop will be and a show room  for classic automobiles , paint & body service facilities and parts inventory are just a few. Up steers are offices and Tom has told us that one of the confrence rooms has already been taken by the Orange County Mercedes-Benz section for meeting.
A little History Tom's Father gave us of the this site is that its passed user was Steve Saleen of Saleen Mustangs.
Well I am looking forward to the grand opening in August of this year and saving for the parts inventory and the gift shop to bring looks of good stuff home or may be installed while I wait.

Bob Geco

hitch02

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 06:43:06 »
I actually wrote that article.  I didn't realize that they had discontinued the tech line, but my understanding is that they intend to continue that work, and in fact improve it.  Mike Kunz, the center director, is very much of the mindset to provide as much information as possible to enhance the enjoyment of the cars.  I would guess that right now they are just in a state of flux, since the team is in the process of physically moving from New Jersey to California.

It's really going to be quite a destination.  And their red pagoda is *perfect*.  Trust me.

-Reed

1969 280 SL Silver/Blue Tex (enroute)
ex- 1971 300SEL 6.3
ex- 1985 300DT
ex- 1994 E420
ex- 1990 300CE-24