Author Topic: starter spin speed saga  (Read 2221 times)

Ed Fisher

starter spin speed saga
« on: June 27, 2005, 06:28:06 »
Recently my car has been slow to spin when turning the key to start position.  At first, the cranking speed of the starter was greatly reduced, for a few revolutions, and then the spin-speed would return to normal with the car starting right up.  Last weekend there was no response from the starter when turning the key to start position, until I turned the key back and forth 3 times, then it would spin right up.

I replaced the starter with a rebuilt unit directly from Mercedes Benz.

There is still significant drag, but not every time.  When the key is turned to start position the car will barely spin, almost a growl, for a couple of revolutions, and then spin freely allowing the car to start.  If I try it in successive attempts, i.e., after it starts turn it right back off and then on again, the starter spins freely.  

Is it possible that the flywheel is loose and binding, or the ignition key not sending good voltage, or a defective rebuild (least likely since the replacement behaves much like the original).  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any other ideas on things to check?

BTW, the top starter bolt can be accessed quite easily from the transmission tunnel access panel for anyone that hasn’t done this yet.  10mm allen socket on 3 extensions works well.

Thanks for any help,

Ed

George Davis

Re: starter spin speed saga
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 08:38:49 »
Ed,

Might be a loose/dirty electrical connection.  I suggest checking, cleaning and tightening connections: battery cables to battery posts, battery to chassis ground cable, and engine to chassis ground cable.  I assume the battery cable to starter connection is good since you just did that one.

Good luck!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual