Author Topic: Battery cable ends  (Read 4414 times)

wgl

Battery cable ends
« on: June 27, 2005, 17:22:15 »
We are working on a 280sl and are wondering if anyone has a picture or part number for the battery connections of the + and - cables?

Also same for the valve caps.

Thanks Bill

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Battery cable ends
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 19:04:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by wgl

We are working on a 280sl and are wondering if anyone has a picture or part number for the battery connections of the + and - cables?

Also same for the valve caps.

Thanks Bill

Bill,

The cables from the factory--"correct" cables, have integral ends; when you buy the cable(s) it/they has the end(s) on it.  It is a fabricated sheet metal clamp, as it were, as opposed to a cast-lead chunk.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

wgl

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 21:51:23 »
Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I do not fully understand it. The car that we are working on has 45,000 original miles. It is quite likely that the cables are original. They do not have any MB markings but are lead that has had the cable swaged in. The original battery had the - post closest to the engine. The new MB battery has the - post on the left side of the battery. It would be simple just to turn the battery around but then we would lose the MB markings. We are getting this car ready for a judged concours here in OR. MB has no cable long enough for the ground, so I have to figure out a way to fabricate one as close to original as I can.

Bill

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:28:17 »
Bill,
The + post should be closest to the engine and away from the radiator.
This picture may not have the correct terminal though!
Note: the + cable goes to the starter thru a rubber grommet at the bottom of the battery tray.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/naj/200552614353_Volt14.JPG
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 05:36:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by wgl

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I do not fully understand it. The car that we are working on has 45,000 original miles. It is quite likely that the cables are original. They do not have any MB markings but are lead that has had the cable swaged in. The original battery had the - post closest to the engine. The new MB battery has the - post on the left side of the battery. It would be simple just to turn the battery around but then we would lose the MB markings. We are getting this car ready for a judged concours here in OR. MB has no cable long enough for the ground, so I have to figure out a way to fabricate one as close to original as I can.

Bill

Bill,

Forget about my clamp description, sorry about that...I was looking at a cable I removed, not the correct ones I just installed.  To help you along, send me your direct email address and I'll get some high-res photos to you.  The 80K limit on photo postings here is not good enough.

Note I have a new MB battery, and new cables from MB: the + cable, though new, has a production date of 1971.  There do not appear to be any obvious MB markings on the cables.  Interesting point: my + battery cable is covered in a grey/silver woven fabric.  The - in black vinyl.  Others I have seen were all black vinyl.  RED is not used, and that's a dead giveaway for an aftermarket cable.

As you look at the battery from inside the bonnet, the - is on the left; the cable is very short and is fixed by screw to a standing sheet metal seam as the ground/earth point.  The + side is on the right, this VERY LONG cable gets snaked down through grommet #1 in the battery tray, to a series of grommets inderneath the front of the engine, to the starter.

As a suggestion, if you are going into an MBCA judged concours, do it correctly.  Don't turn the battery around.  If it doesn't fit right with the cables you have, get some other ones. If it isn't MBCA judged, it probably won't matter.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

wgl

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 09:33:01 »
Michael,

Good morning. Thanks for the help, the e-mail is WGL10@msn.com. The original battery - was connected to the engine block with the - post about 8" away.

Bill

George Davis

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 13:20:47 »
wgl,

which concours are you going to?  Forest Grove?

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

George Davis

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 13:24:25 »
wgl,

by valve caps do you mean the tire valve stem caps?  They seem to be using the same caps today, available from MB or BMW dealerships.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

wgl

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 20:03:08 »
George,

I think I have solved the valve stem caps question. One of the MB mechanics had a handfull of old caps he said he has had for a least 20 years, he sold me 4.

We are going to the Forest Grove concours. Our car is entered as an unmolested original under the MB classification. The show is July 17 and we are about half done getting the car ready. This will be the 4th time for my wife and myself at this show. We have won plates and ribbons at the previous shows with different cars.

Thank you all for the help that has been given.

Bill