Author Topic: What size battery?  (Read 4047 times)

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
What size battery?
« on: July 05, 2005, 10:07:31 »
I need to replace my battery.  My thought is to put in an Interstate -but what size is supposed to be used in a 1970 280SL..  right now I have a group 24 marine battery that has lasted 10 years but thought I'd try to put the right size in and get a new battery hold down frame instead of the bungy cord....  anyone have a decent used battery top frame and bolts ?  thanks for your help....

Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, 4 speed
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: What size battery?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 17:56:22 »
12 V, 56 Ah is the correct electrical size.
Bosch, Varta, Hoppecke are the correct brands.
You can get a correct modern replacement from Mercedes.

Diehard ("die hard") and other brands certainly also have fitting ones.

The battery top brackets and bolts are available new from Mercedes (DaimlerChrysler) as well. Not too expensive.

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 18:58:08 »
If you want to look good for Concours, etc. you can get the Varta/MB battery.  Just bring along some other brand to actually start the car reliably.  Varta is poor at best. Barely acceptable performance and they don't sit well.  They might be okay for daily drivers that are easy to crank.  

Interstates seem to be really good. My Interstate has been sitting on the floor of my garage since I started my rebuild in February and I used it the other day to jump start a 6 litre Ford van.  

Just measure the battery for fit and make sure the Positive and Negative terminals are on the correct side.

I have heard mixed reviews about the Optima battery.  Anyone had any problems with those?

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 19:46:34 »
Go with a Inteerstate Meg tron plus size 24MTP cool cranking amps 800. fits perfect and will accept the battery top look down tray . Very good buy for the money. W/S $65.00 retail $80.00. I buy direct from there distributors. Just ignore the white top batterys that say Mercedes-Benz they are the cheap imatators the make all thoses service writers money.

Bob Geco