Author Topic: Any computer networking pros out there?  (Read 2942 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Any computer networking pros out there?
« on: August 13, 2023, 14:44:48 »
Any computer networking pros out there, familiar enough with structured wiring, wireless access points (WAP), PoE, etc. and willing to virtually sit down with me and discuss some things? I have a lot of "fill in the blanks" I need and only someone with experience who does this professionally can really help. Hint: it's not taking a WiFi router out of the box and plugging it in...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Any computer networking pros out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 00:58:35 »
I work with these types of people. Is this a personal project, for a club or non-profit, or corporate?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 11:55:15 »
I work with these types of people. Is this a personal project, for a club or non-profit, or corporate?

Personal. Home. I'll send you an email...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Sonnicol

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 16:27:51 »
I’ve dealt with structured wiring and PoE in a few setups myself. It’s a lot more than just plugging in a WiFi router, especially when you’re setting up multiple access points. If you want to bounce some ideas around or need advice on specific issues, I’m here to help.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 20:04:59 »
I’ve dealt with structured wiring and PoE in a few setups myself. It’s a lot more than just plugging in a WiFi router, especially when you’re setting up multiple access points. If you want to bounce some ideas around or need advice on specific issues, I’m here to help.

Working with our member David Pease, and a local contractor CATJACKS LLC, about a year ago, I figured out the solution to my problem and CATJACKS helped me implement it.

Problem is, and was, WiFi sucks. I had several routers all high quality, then two different mesh networks and all were awful; these were not simultaneous of course, but sequential in deployment. "Awful" meaning that my 600MB download fiber service I was paying for was achievable only at the router. Rigorous testing throughout the house confirmed that my attenuation around corners and through walls was 30% at best, 70% at worst. So using the advice and understanding as mentioned, and working with the limitations of my house itself and where the wiring points are, we engineered the following:

1. Installed a recessed wall mount wiring panel in the garage at the origin point of the fiber. Inside the box is the fiber ONT, the primary router (TP Link Deco PoE chosen for form factor only), and a gigabit network switch. That's the primary mesh node, and provides perfect internet in the garage.
2. CAT5e wiring throughout the home all terminates at this panel, and all wiring is connected to the switch.
3. Four additional TP Link Deco nodes are all hardwired back to this switch in the panel. One serves my office upstairs, and the other three are dispersed through the home's first floor around the perimeter; NOT centrally located. An additional node is near to the front foyer and that backhaul is wireless, the only node not hardwired back to the primary.

So with the exception of that one node at the front foyer, all are using wired backhaul. I get close to my 600MB download speed everywhere in the house, upstairs and downstairs. Certain network devices like my computer, my printer, and the television, are hardwired into the router nodes.

CATJACKS had to run only one CAT5e wire for me to support this home network architecture as all the other wiring was in place. It originally terminated OUTSIDE the house, but we brought the terminations inside to the panel. Yes I had to spend some $$ for CATJACKS to add the RJ45 wall jacks (builder did not terminate any wiring, left bare in a box) and test the integrity of all the wiring and test everything, money well spent. Also had to sell all the old routers and mesh networks and focus on the TP Link Deco products which all play nice together.

Problems analyzed, researched, solutions found and implemented and all is well.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2024, 22:48:29 »
This is a comprehensive set up Michael - a mesh with wired backhauls is always optimal. I have also had success withe TP-Link Deco units, which are more flexible (think separate 2.4Ghz IoT service) than, say, Eeros.

That said, in a retrofit situation it is not always possible to get the backhaul cables installed. That is true both here in the US but especially overseas (think the solid brick interior walls in the UK). In that case I have used Powerline versions of the TP-Link Deco successfully - they integrate seamlessly with regular Deco units. The Powerline protocols are surprisingly effective at modulating a high speed (gigabit) connection over the main AC, especially for the backhaul. The Powerline data speed performance can in theory be limited by excessive AC line noise, but that can be less of an issue on UK/European style domestic mains electrical systems than in the US.
Charles
1969 US 280SL 4-speed Red/Black
DB9 / 981 S / G300 SWB / CB750 / etc

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2024, 16:24:40 »
This is a comprehensive set up Michael - a mesh with wired backhauls is always optimal. I have also had success withe TP-Link Deco units, which are more flexible (think separate 2.4Ghz IoT service) than, say, Eeros.

That said, in a retrofit situation it is not always possible to get the backhaul cables installed. That is true both here in the US but especially overseas (think the solid brick interior walls in the UK). In that case I have used Powerline versions of the TP-Link Deco successfully - they integrate seamlessly with regular Deco units. The Powerline protocols are surprisingly effective at modulating a high speed (gigabit) connection over the main AC, especially for the backhaul. The Powerline data speed performance can in theory be limited by excessive AC line noise, but that can be less of an issue on UK/European style domestic mains electrical systems than in the US.

The company I hired to help me is able to install wiring wherever needed. Some installations neater than others, but a good wiring person can run wires inside or outside as needed. Good wiring people are not easy to find but they are there.

I had only marginal success with backhaul over power line adapters...but I suspect it was something with the Asus ZEN routers which I got rid of.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid