Author Topic: Copyright our Stuff revisited? Longish...  (Read 2235 times)

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
Copyright our Stuff revisited? Longish...
« on: July 09, 2005, 01:47:29 »
Hi Guys,

About a year ago I wrote a piece on copyright, meaning to send it to Rodd for Pagoda World.  I forget whether it was ever submitted, but it'll probably reach more people this way...

I’ve spent over 20 years helping inventors capitalize on their intellectual property:  patents, copyrights, and trademarks. I like to see people put their assets to the best use after considering all their options, including outright publication and free use.  Lest I be accused of drumming up business for myself, I’m fortunate enough to be able to do this for free these days.

A while ago, someone appropriated a great picture of Herr Boehringer looking at Pagoda World and posted it on a French website without attribution.  The picture had appeared in the December 2003 issue of Pagoda World.  It had been snapped by a Pagoda Group member, and Pagoda World correctly put a copyright notice on it. We had a little discussion about it on the forum, but I don’t think I got my point through.  I believe that the French website posting has opened an important and serious issue facing the whole group.  

All of the contributors to Pagoda World have created potentially valuable stuff.  Each is protected by a copyright, without doing anything, no lawyers necessary.  If I understood the author correctly, he doesn’t care about his copyright; he just wants people to freely use his pictures.  That’s his right, and I agree that this particular use of his picture has the value of advertising Pagoda World.    

However, I suggested to the copyright-holder that he could ask the French group to put an attribution to this picture on their website—a request that is not overly legalistic or bureaucratic.  It is both required legally and is a common courtesy in the copyright world.  Also the notice would preserve the copyright so that some day the author might use his rights to even better advantage.

“What If” is a game we licensing folks always play when thinking about the disposition of a piece of intellectual property.  What if all existing photos of Boehringer were destroyed in a fire, and yours was the only one left?  Suddenly it becomes a very valuable piece of racing history!   Would it be fair (or the best use) for someone to start printing your picture and selling it on eBay for $500 a toss?  No benefit to you… but if you enforce your copyright, other scenarios could be beneficial, either to you or to the W113 Pagoda SL Group:  

(a)   you could license someone to produce and sell the picture and pay royalties, or  
(b)   you could sell it yourself and keep the royalties to spend on dancing girls or old cars, or  
(c)   you could assign your copyright to the Pagoda Group so they could derive income from the sales.

All I’m saying is that each person (and maybe the Group’s Board) should consider what the eventual “best use” is as we produce more and more Group materials—the income generated from copyrights can send a kid to technical school or establish a classic-car museum.   That doesn’t mean we give up our nonprofit status.  Business is not always a dirty term, and profit is not always bad.  I’m just offering the thought that this might be a better use than allowing an infringer to pocket proceeds made from your talent and hard work.  Thanks for listenin'...

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Copyright our Stuff revisited? Longish...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 06:02:51 »
Trice ..... You have opened a very important subject.  I am very active in the 190SL Group and we have a couple of items that we created from technical information that created by members and printed in our Newsletter or other publications.  When we created our book ( http://www.190slgroup.com/store/shop/shop/item.asp?itemid=2), that I was the project manager, we took the effort to submit the documentation to the US Copyright office to obtain a Certificate of Registration.  The copyright is in the club name and we state that all rights of material published in our Newsletter were assigned to the club when the material was accepted for publication.  

Good technical articles on 113's can be valuable and should be protected for the benefit of the club.  Within the 190SL Group, all technical materials belong to the club and all revenues generated by their sale goes solely to the club.  We sell the book, technical manual and a series of technical videos.  The revenue from these products subsidizes our Newsletter and is currently funding the development of additional videos.

As Trice says, the club should claim and maintain (in a friendly way) the copyright of all material provided by its members.    

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Copyright our Stuff revisited? Longish...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 10:55:13 »
Jim is right of course. Anything you post to a forum becomes the property of that forum. I'm also a director on the 190SL Group board and remember this debate quite well.

The actual learning curve and overall knowlegde of this group has been impressive. Now everyone knows what a flower pot is.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC