Author Topic: Tire recommendations  (Read 3127 times)

toml

Tire recommendations
« on: July 10, 2005, 08:21:25 »
Hi. I need new tires. I'm in Portland, OR, if it makes a difference. I have a newly restored 1964 240SL euro and I prefer black to whitewall.

I just drove this car all out through the canadian rockies and back. Passing everyone uphill. Tons of switchbacks. So much fun. I will post pics later. But I did blow out two (old) tires along the way. Too old to handle it.

ps Was wondering also if I could go wider than 195 for a little more of that porsche look? Not rediculously wide, just one or maybe 2 small increments wider? but maybe that's a bad idea.

Anyway brands/models/ratings appreciated!
Thanks!

TomL, Portland, OR
1964 230SL Euro 4-speed Silver+Black w/ Red Interior
1973 280C DOHC Metalic Blue w/ Tan interior

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Tire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 10:06:35 »
Hi tom,
  If you use the search function, you will find a bunch of threads about tires, alloy rims, etc.  There are a lot of opinions and you'll decide what's right for you.  There are a number of us who have successfully gone to 205/70 14s.  The wheel wells are narrow and some people have had rubbing issues in the front.  The suspension needs to be good, obviously.  My local tire store guy mounted just one and we eyeballed it on the ground through the full steering range before I decided to purchase the set that size. (Don't ask for that on a Saturday)

I live in Jacksonville, where, when it rains, it does so with enthusiasm.  So I picked a tire for it's wet braking.  I have Yokohama Avid A-4s.  They were the best in class for wet and the softer compound gives great cornering in the dry too.  I won't expect more than 35,000 miles from them, but that is a lot for this car and the performance is worth it.

You can go to tirerack.com and compare lots of makes with road tests and user reviews.  Be sure to look at the specs.  Note the diameter of the original size tires and look for that in the wider replacement.  Also keep in mind that the wider tire might not fit in the trunk.  

I think that the factory alloy wheels are 1/2-inch wider than the steel rims so they should help with sidewall roll and traction too.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

n/a

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 10:31:58 »
If your search on tires doesn't pick up my post from 7/4/05 on tire ratings; take a look.  

I have spent alot of time asking/reading/hand-wringing & have narrowed it down to my preferred size of 205/70/14 using either the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T or the only H rated All Season I could find in this size, the Firestone Affinity.  

My local tire store has availablity to both at very similar pricing as Tire Rack (after addt'l shipping costs) and of course they prefer not to mount & balance tires I just bring in.  

To save and store the original rims and caps, I recently purchased a set of alloys on eBay and I'm anxiously awaiting their delivery to determine if my tire selection works.

toml

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 11:33:56 »
Oops. I should have added that I dont have the alloys, I have steel+hubcaps.
205 should still fit on those I'm sure though. Right?

TomL, Portland, OR
1964 230SL Euro 4-speed Silver+Black w/ Red Interior
1973 280C DOHC Metalic Blue w/ Tan interior

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 16:46:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by toml

Oops. I should have added that I dont have the alloys, I have steel+hubcaps.
205 should still fit on those I'm sure though. Right?
Yes, they will fit.  I stongly recommend the Search feature.  The link is at the top right corner of this screen.  You'll find lots of information and opinions.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"