Author Topic: Side Lights-Opinions?  (Read 12839 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Side Lights-Opinions?
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 23:09:58 »
I recently joined a Volvo forum which has the top-down approach, and I noticed how much more I like our approach here - so, yes Jim, I think it is very much about what you're used to. But all in all, as Rodd indicates, we did think about it and I think the advantages of bottom-up outweigh the disadvantages.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Ben

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 02:40:56 »
Just my 2c worth !

I think that items like bumper guards, US headlights, whitewalls are all things that can be changed by an owner at any point. You could even have a "US" kit or a "Euro" kit and change back and forth whenever you wanted with just a few hours work !

The side marker deletion requires a bit more than that and I think if anyone has the opertunity to remove them they should take it !

Last weekend we had a large car show here in Ireland and our Mercedes club stand had a former prize winning silver 280SL Euro, and beside it we had an immaculate restored 280SL US version in the identical colour combination, silver with blue interior. The owner of the US car deliberately bought a US car as he preferred the look. When we had the two side by side they really looked like two different models, and I grew to like the little details on the US version, probably because we never see them here so being different it stood out. Having said that I will keep mine EURO !

Also we see a lot of W111/112/108/109's over here equiped with the twin stacked headlights, they look great, but every time I see one with the "goldfish" bowl headlamps it really stands out for me !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

A Dalton

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 05:20:50 »
<We talked about this and felt that with the other method, you would always be scrolling down in every thread to find new posts. We were trying to elimiate excessive scrolling.
>
I hear ya..
 The other groups have a last thread click so you do not have to do any scrolling .. if there is any extra scrolling , it is with this system.. if one comes into an existing thread , he has no idea what has been said til he scrolls down to the  first reply and then reads them back up..but that works too..
 No complaint, I just work around it.. maybe if all the other forums had it this way, I would be more comfortable.
 I always try to look at all the previous post on any group I tech on so that I do not post what someone else has already answered anyway..
It seems the other system is less prone to this..as a lot does not get read b/c the last post is always listed directly after the first.

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 06:41:13 »
Arthur ..... It seems like we are in the definite minority.  I just find it awkward to read a posting and then scroll up to read the next posting.  If the post is long, it is scrolling down to read and up to find the next post.  Like you, I try not to repeat anything that was mentioned without referencing the previous post.  I will also say that I prefer the feel of vBuletin and the manner that images are shown.  This forum software just feels "klunky".

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

A Dalton

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 06:59:36 »
KLUNKY  .. a good discriptive choice..

I purposely used Awkward as not to infer correct/incorrect, but rather to discribe the "Feel" of the navigation of a thread , specially a lengthy/many reply one.
 I can only compare it to reading a book, Front page to Back page,top to bottom....
 without having to go to a back page somewhere in order to understand what is meant on the 3rd page..
  .. but , I accept being in the minority..and prefer it.

The info is here  and that is the important part.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 07:44:30 by A Dalton »

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2005, 12:07:29 »
What are the laws in your state regarding the removal of originally required equipment?  Some states that have inspections might bust you for removing the side marker lights.  

That said, I have an early 280 built in 1967 and sold as a '68.  The side markers are merely reflectors with no electrical hook-up. I am having the tiny screw holes filled while the car is being painted.  Florida doesn't do inspections any more and I doubt the average cop will figure out the reflectors are gone.  However, I am keeping the bumper guards and American headlights because I like them.  I am adding a right-sde mirror too because I want one.  

And, I find I do a tremendous amount of scrolling because of the bottom-up listing.  It's annoying but this site is too far along to change it now.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2005, 12:16:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond

What are the laws in your state regarding the removal of originally required equipment?  Some states that have inspections might bust you for removing the side marker lights.  

That said, I have an early 280 built in 1967 and sold as a '68.  The side markers are merely reflectors with no electrical hook-up. I am having the tiny screw holes filled while the car is being painted.  Florida doesn't do inspections any more and I doubt the average cop will figure out the reflectors are gone.  However, I am keeping the bumper guards and American headlights because I like them.  I am adding a right-sde mirror too because I want one.  

And, I find I do a tremendous amount of scrolling because of the bottom-up listing.  It's annoying but this site is too far along to change it now.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe

As I wanted a slightly more modern look for driving safety (remember that's why the Feds mandated this stuff anyway, like it or not!)I actually replaced the reflectors on my early '69 with markers, changed to amber directionals in the rear (and netted about $500 in the process from someone dying for all red)and changed the front headlamp assemblies to the final version which carried the wiring for the front markers.  All this stuff was standard in June 1969 about 6 months after my car was made in January.  I don't think any policeman anywhere keeps this kind of detailed production info, even in places where there are inspections.  If anybody wants to change to more modern or less (production wise); or to a Euro-look it probably won't matter.  Remember sealed beams are no longer a requirement in the USA but they were during the production of our cars.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV