Author Topic: Rust!  (Read 5683 times)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Rust!
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2024, 15:02:14 »
You may want to check exactly where the smell is coming from. If it is this expansion tank, then the lines connected to it may have lose connections, the connectors may be half-broken off the expansion tank or one of the lines, particularly the one going down under the trunk floor may be clogged.

At the end of the one that goes out below the tank floor there should be this rubber conical thing, hanging there not far from the muffler. If this conical thing is missing, the system does not work - some suction is created there to suck out the vapors. You would then need to buy the rubber thing and attach it to the line with a small clamp.

Lots of posts about it.

There should be no gas smell around the car. If it is there, there is a leak that needs to be traced and fixed.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2024, 13:55:22 »
You may want to check exactly where the smell is coming from.
There should be no gas smell around the car. If it is there, there is a leak that needs to be traced and fixed.

At the rear of the car, there are so many places that could cause a smell of fuel, and they all need to be checked.

Fuel gauge mounting
Fuel filler cap
Ventilation connections
Fuel pump connection to tank
Fuel pump IN connections
Fuel pump OUT connections
Fuel line from pump out to hard line that goes forward.

Lot of small connections, some rubber, some metal, and some combinations. Some with gasket...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2024, 19:49:50 »
Yikes!  Ok I will put one in the car.
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Pagodateil

• Junior Level
  • France, Aquitaine, Bordeaux
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2024, 22:36:26 »
I agree with you Cees there should be 0 gas smell maybe you should look at changing the flexible hoses that are between your tank and the rigid tube and between the rigid tube and the canister see in attachment
Pagoda passionate

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2024, 05:40:10 »
Failed sender gasket can also result in smell in the trunk. The leak is seen when you remove the sender cover.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2024, 17:38:32 »
Ok so worked on the trunk a little yesterday.  Ran the car for a little while and did some "Smell Tests". I did not smell any gas anywhere.  So I think I am ok.  I think I am just very sensitive to the exhaust smell being in a convertible and not driving gas cars for so long.  I am going to take it out on PCH today and see if I smell anything different at Speed.

But also just to help complete some of my posts... here is a pic of the trunk.  It has 1 light coat of Flat Black Rust-Oleum on it.  I am going to let it sit and then sand some spots a little smoother and then put another coat of paint.  Probably Rust-Oleum again and then maybe try and source some of the dark grey that Mercedes uses...  But I won't be rushing on that.  Glad to just have all the rust GONE!.  Have a few little minor surface spots in then engine compartment that I need to attack and then she should be Rust Free...
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"