Author Topic: FLOORMATS  (Read 5571 times)

terry shores

FLOORMATS
« on: July 13, 2005, 18:18:18 »
I presume that floormats came with the car (71 280sl) I currently have what appear to be custom floormats in my car.  I am restoring the car back to as original as possible.  Does anyone know what the original floormats looked like?? And where I can buy them?

Thanks,
Terry Shores
71 280sl signal red, black leather, auto, air

hauser

Re: FLOORMATS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 18:28:08 »
You could always go with coco mats.  I have these mats in my car and I'm very happy with them.  Better than the original coco since these have a rubber backing to them.  Dirt and debris will not make it's way to your carpet.  Check it out at  www.cocomats.com

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 18:40:03 »
Funny we should be talking about this. I'm going up to the cocomats.com factory this Saturday to pick up a set with a friend. Great stuff & very nice people.

I think these are the de facto floormats for old Mercedes/BMW/Porsche enthusiasts these days. They have a period look, resist fading, have a nice fit, and have a good sturdy rubber backing.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 19:03:44 »
I do not remember any accessorie mats being offered other than the factory floor mats that had some instillation on the botton and snaped into place. When I worked A Velden B. Haan in the 1970s we used to sell Sicle mat or Coco mats forthese cars. I would recommend the Coco mats now because of their durability and uniqueness. It seems that that is the proper mat for a classic SL.

Bob Geco

terry shores

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 20:12:36 »
THANK YOU EVERYONE.  JUST ORDERED MY NEW COCOMATS.

ISN'T THIS SITE THE GREATEST FOR US PAGODA LOVERS????

Terry

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 22:21:22 »
If you want original, then coco mats are not it.  I assume they were an availabe aftermarket item from the time period, but were not facory delivered.  See this nice thread.

http://index.php?topic=837,floor,mat

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 22:22:30 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

hauser

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 22:49:09 »
For those that prefer carpeted mats Lloyd Mats would be my recommendation.  They can be custom ordered and personalized.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 02:44:18 »
Whilst we are talking about mats etc, what is the original hardware for securing the carpet to the floor. Mine has nothing and they keep sliding forward.....drives me mad ! [:(!]

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

hauser

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 10:56:51 »
I believe the snaps are similar to those on the tool kit pouch.  Of course to a well trained eye there's probably a difference.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

George Davis

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 11:01:14 »
Coco mats were a factory option, option code 835.  Most likely not made the same way as are the cocomats.com mats, but finding the originals could be tough.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 21:42:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

I believe the snaps are similar to those on the tool kit pouch.  Of course to a well trained eye there's probably a difference.
My 230SL with rubber mats actually has screws that hold them down.  They screw right into the floor boards!

quote:
Originally posted by George Davis

Coco mats were a factory option, option code 835.  Most likely not made the same way as are the cocomats.com mats, but finding the originals could be tough.
Cool!  I never heard that before.  George, you should update our database.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

tobacco

• Regular
  • USA, IL, Oak Park
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 22:39:42 »

I asked my Sacramento dealer for coco mats when I ordered my 280 SL, and he dropped in the red/black coco mats from Vilem B. Haan.  I was, and remain, unaware of any factory coco mats having been available in California at the time.

The Haan mats did not have a rubber (or any other) backing and they wore through quickly.  As I replaced the mats a number of times -- the car has not been without some sort of coco mats in 34+ years -- I developed quite a nice collection of both the passenger-side mats, which got little traffic, and the sewn red/black over-the-transmission-hump coco connector piece that I'd dutifully removed each time my new ones arrived.

It's possible there were other, more complementary Haan coco mat colors besides the red/black (which cocomats.com replicates perfectly), but I grew to like the idiosyncracy.

Just like the other special item I asked my dealer to install -- the same Vilem B. Haan gear-shift knob that was selling for $157 on eBay this past week.  That one looks like it could have been stolen from my car.

[Note to Douglas: if you have a moment, ask the cocomat.com people what ever happened to the mats they were developing to complement the Stone interior leather on the E-class.  I was told they were a quick-trip-to-India away from production, but I don't think they ever appeared.]

Bill Greffin
Chicago
Bill Greffin
Chicago

Ben

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 04:02:42 »
quote:
Just like the other special item I asked my dealer to install -- the same Vilem B. Haan gear-shift knob that was selling for $157 on eBay this past week. That one looks like it could have been stolen from my car.

.............and if anyone wants another one .......I have one. I'd sell it to any member reasonably otherwise I'll eBay it

......" original factory prototype gearknob, low mileage, has only been used to selct gears once by the original owner who drove the car home from the dealership and parked it in her garage where it remained ever since. The enamel has been replaced/replated/repainted and the wood has been reconditioned/repaired/replaced where neccesary a few times but other than that it is totally original ! !    :D

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.