Author Topic: Nardi Wood Restoration  (Read 1177 times)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Nardi Wood Restoration
« on: January 03, 2024, 23:31:31 »
Hi,
Does anyone know if anyone sells wood for the Nardi Steering Wheels?  My wood was pretty bad so I took it all apart.  It might be restorable but new wood would be much easier.  The black ring is broken and the wood split in a few places...
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Nardi Wood Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 23:47:11 »
There is a company in the UK that restores wheels to a very high standard.  Look on-line for "Myrtle Limited."
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 02:00:52 »
http://www.maderaconcepts.com/

About 90 miles north of you.

Not sure if they do wheels but they do amazing automotive wood. 
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 16:39:22 »
I would second Kampala's comment. Madera Concepts did a presentation at PagodaFest San Diego, their work is simply amazing.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 17:13:25 »
If you have dismantled or deconstructed your Nardi wood wheel, sad to say that the cost of reconstruction may exceed the cost of simply finding a suitable replacement. I don't know enough about the construction of Nardi wheels but it sounds to me like a fairly custom process to machine new wood to the right specifications, assemble it and refinish it.

Madera does exceedingly beautiful work, and that precision and flawless finish comes at a price. When I was having some work done on my car from 2020-2021, refinishing all my interior wood was on the list. The cost of refinishing by Madera (I sent the wood out to them for examination and quotation) was about the same as replacing with new (albeit reproduction) wood offered by Authentic Classics. So I opted for new from Authentic, and sold all my used wood to help defray the cost.

If you do an online search for "wood steering wheel restoration" you'll come up with a few firms in the USA that do this work. However, most of them seem to be in the "restoration" rather than "rebuilding" which means the wood itself must be salvageable. It surely doesn't hurt to contact these firms and pose the question.

A quick check on eBay reveals plenty of Nardi wheels for sale, in several models and colors, priced between $250 and $500.

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Process999

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Walnut Creek
  • 65 230sl
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 20:54:38 »
I had my Nardi steering wheel restored at Madera Concepts mentioned below - it is stunning.  I'd give them a call.

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 21:09:27 »
I can attest to the fine work done by Madera.  They refinished all the wood pieces in my car and got it perfectly done.  I was in Santa Barbara and visited their workshop before having the work done.  It’s a small, family run business.  They understand the correct stain and finish for w113: dark walnut plus satin finish.  They do primarily Rolls Royce, Jaguar and Mercedes wood dash/trim. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)