Author Topic: Injection Pump Calibration Video  (Read 1281 times)

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Injection Pump Calibration Video
« on: January 30, 2024, 17:31:58 »
This past weekend I spent a few hours at Black Forest Benz in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Michael McKinney has been refurbishing my mechanical injection pump and invited me to take a look at the steps involved in calibrating the pump while on the calibration machine. Prior to the point where we are in the video, the pump has been completely disassembled ultrasonically cleaner all internal parts. Soda blasting outer housing, ultrasonic cleaning, and hand polishing of all aluminum housing parts. Yellow and bright zinc plating of all external parts and fasteners. Reassemble injection pump with new thermostat, bearings, seals, and gaskets.

Many people refinish the barometric compensator (aka "Tuna Can") by painting it which I had done prior to giving my pump to Black Forest. Michael tests the compensator then puts it on a lathe to shave off a microscopic layer of metal then plates it to like new finish.

My pump did not require replacement of any internal components however Michael has a vast inventory of NLA replacement parts if they would have been needed.

The injection pump seems to be an engineering marvel with complex internals and and numerous components that require manual adjustments to properly set it up.

The video covers just a portion of the test and calibration procedure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ppgkWqRhpG3Gtqo9A
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: Injection Pump Calibration Video
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 18:03:30 »
Very interesting. Thank you for posting.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

christoph

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Essex
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 19:55:43 »
As Dirk says, very intresting. thanks for posting Frank👍 please thank Michael for taking the time to explane some of the details. 😎
70_ 280sl

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 05:43:01 »
Yes thank you for posting that. Wish the video kept going. I wanted to see the results of the adjustments.
1970 280 SL

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 19:30:56 »
The video only shows some of the preliminary adjustments. Calibration of the pump was not finished when I left his facility. The work on the bench requires adjustment then measure output then go back and adjust again where needed. Each adjustment is just a fraction of an inch.

Michael McKinley told me he is offering to host a Saturday open house at his facility for members of this group perhaps some time in August. More details to follow.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Pinder

• Platinum
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 23:23:47 »
I wonder if anyone has tried doing some adjustments at home , at least to get the same fuel delivery on each cylinder.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 00:17:06 »
I wonder if anyone has tried doing some adjustments at home , at least to get the same fuel delivery on each cylinder.
I did and it’s quite doable. Not as precise as the one in the video though. I used the drill as the power source so the rpm was not perfectly stable. Close enough for what I needed.

I would love to attend the presentation if one ever happens.

bracurrie

• Senior
  • USA, TN, Nashville
  • The SL to have is a 113, but I don't have one.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 12:29:50 »
I have always wondered what happens in a calibration. I loved the comment about how noisy diesel IPs are. My question here would be one relating to the check valves that hold fuel pressure in the fuel lines between the plunger and the injector. How is that evaluated? Mine are failing enough that I have hot start issues which is why I am having another IP prepared and installed.
Having just replaced the cam in my M130, I wonder what the relationship is between the cam profile and the fueling profile of the IP. Robert Fairchild is second time through rebuilding for me a late version (1970)pump with an earlier space cam and earlier fueling specs. (Earlier meaning 1968-1969) He cheats the profiles usually a little rich to compensate for ethanol fuels and he agreed not to do that as the earlier fueling specs are richer anyway.
1970 280 SE W108.018
M130.980 w/ US emissions
manual column shift