Author Topic: Count the ways?  (Read 5250 times)

RickInTex

Count the ways?
« on: July 21, 2005, 08:40:15 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20487-ACTUAL-Miles-2-Owner-230-SL-1965-Pagoda-1-of-6325_W0QQitemZ4563673823QQcategoryZ6338QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure if I should've posted this with a more, shall we say, ethically pointed subject line.  But I can spot at least five things that make me skeptical of the many claims to "originality" in this ad:  two exterior and three interior.  No photos of engine compartment, which might be even more revealing.

Anyone else want to start counting?

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

n/a

Re: Count the ways?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 09:55:23 »
I spotted this one also. Europe light and US side markers; Seats too good to be true; Not sure about the location of the spare for a 65 230sl. Definitely not as original as the claim and for a car with onyl 20K original miles.

zanone

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 10:28:23 »
No rear reflectors and is the mirror correct? Was thinking about bidding please let us know other non-original items.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 10:45:57 by zanone »

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 10:50:27 »
I always get skeptical anytime the ad states more about the history of the model that the actual car being sold.

Having said that, it looks to me to be a nicely restored car rather than an "unmolested" original.  The interior looks much too clean to be original.  It's tough to see but the carpet doesn't look original.  Modern seat belts, original radio removed, appears to have a new steering wheel.

I'm also concerned with the way some of the pictures are cropped..leading me to wonder why didn't they include the entire picture ????

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

RickInTex

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 10:59:48 »
zanone, what i see:
side markers and euro lights, as noted; also late-style full wheel covers, mirror, and amber taillights; carpet isn't original (early console boxes had vinyl--or maybe leather--not carpet); upholstery is nice, i agree, but the grainy texture is not accurate to early MB-Tex; oversize star on steering wheel pad.

i assume the cropped photos at an angle are there to illustrate absence of dings on the side.

to be sure, it looks like a nicely refurbished car, cosmetically, but the claims to originality seem inaccurate (to put it most neutrally).  in other words, could be really a nice car, but i'm doubtful about the claimed mileage, and it's certainly not a good buy for someone who values originality.

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

zanone

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 11:17:15 »
Rick, I emailed your comments to the seller and will let you know if they respond. Thanks, DZ

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 11:47:24 »
I had already made a list of things I saw.  With the risk of repeating:

Outside:  wrong mirror, 280-style wheels covers and front markers, wrong tail lights, gas cap looks wrong

Inside: passenger sunvisor without mirror, modern seat belts, shifter rubber looks wrong, seat covers not original, blower motor knob and cigarette lighter knob both from 280, tire cover looks too new

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Douglas

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 11:51:04 »
Let's not overlook the black engine bay. File this auction under "ebay malpractice."

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

zanone

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 13:08:35 »
Also "Private Auctions" make me suspicious. I can understand it for the Gullwings where "high rollers" bidding in the $100Ks may not want to be known but when I see it at our price levels it makes me think the seller must not want anyone contacting other bidders. A "healthy paranoia" is good.

zanone

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 19:41:56 »
The seller is trying to say that this is a European Version trying to explain the "differences". I'll pass along responses.

"This Model is a European Version and is why you might be noticing these differences.  We had her go through a Collector Inspection in our Province and it passed easily for originality.  I do not know enough about 230Sl's to guarantee this is 100% original but the 2nd Owner changed nothing on this car and an appraisal in 1993 claimed it was all Original".

jammer

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 11:43:24 »
Shouldn't the original firewall pad have diamond pattern finish? The one shown in the photos appears smooth.

jammer

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 15:13:58 »
Shouldn't the original firewall pad have diamond pattern finish? The one shown in the photos appears smooth.

Douglas

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 15:19:27 »
You're correct. It's been replaced with aftermarket materials; the original material has been NLA for years now.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 15:39:17 »
Anyone notice the claim "No dents or dings"
Well, looking at the rear 3/4 view of the drivers side, what is that dimple in the metal above and to the left of the rear taillight?  It appears in all the other rear view pictures.
Walter