Author Topic: Transmission mechanism spring?  (Read 2918 times)

saygold

Transmission mechanism spring?
« on: July 25, 2005, 13:45:45 »
I found out the hard way what happens when the shift bushing pieces fall apart when I was driving my 230SL a while back in city traffic.  I normally put the transmission in neutral while waiting for the lights to change.  This time, when it was ok to start moving, I could not engage any gear.  Naturally it was in busy intersection.  Finally got it home and replaced all of the bushings, front and back, following the MB Service Manual dated August 1959 (plus updates), the Haynes book and even the Chilton book.

The shift mechanism is still sloppy, and I possibly found out why.  I was looking over the SLS website (thanks for recommending them, Cees) and it shows a spring that could be used to "stiffen" the mechanism  (part no. 126014, or number 30 in the transmission section).  None of the manuals above addressed this spring.  The spring looks to be a small diameter rod that is bent into basically a U shape with a small circle at one end (to hold the spring?) and the other end bent inward similar to a paper clip.  It is about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.  After talking with a supplier about what this spring is for, I bought it in the states hoping to have it arrive quicker (part no. 136-265-02-93).  I requested that any additional part needed to install the spring was to be included, but none were supplied.  

It arrived this morning and I have the entire shifting mechanism apart.  Unfortunately, I cannot figure out exactly where the spring is to be installed.  I would appreciate a picture showing the spring in position.  

Thanks in advance for your help.  I will not be (too) embarassed if I am wrong about the spring's use.  

Ken Deter
1966 230SL (euro)

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Transmission mechanism spring?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 14:34:31 »
Ken .... It sounds like you purchase the spring for inside the transmission cover to provide a spring feel going into reverse.  The item is #29 below.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 14:35:15 by JimVillers »
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

saygold

Re: Transmission mechanism spring?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 15:08:02 »
Jim - Thanks for the information.  I now have a spare spring.  

Ken Deter
1966 230SL (euro)