Author Topic: Soft top dilemma  (Read 3222 times)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Soft top dilemma
« on: July 25, 2005, 14:36:53 »
I have a brand new german fabric to install onto my bare frame.  My question is:  Should I install the fabric now and then remove the entire frame from the car before sending it to the painters?  Or do I wait till the car gets back and install the top.  I need to lift one side of the top assembly with a shim as it's hitting the case cover when fully opened.  I have already fixed the big linear dent it left over the years.
Walter

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Soft top dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 14:49:38 »
Walt--

Repeat after me: Do NOT install the frame or soft top until the car is painted!  It will just get in the way.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:30:44 »
Thanks Michael, I will take the frame out so I can clean it, relube and tighten the joints.  Then after the car is painted I'll install it and put the fabric on it.  Great group here!
Walter

TR

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 08:31:15 »
Walter -- Is that brand new German fabric you mention of the original variety?  The reason I ask is that a couple of years ago I had new German fabric (supposedly of the highest quality) installed on my 280SL ... but it soaks thru quickly in rain.  I've used Scotch Guard as well as stronger canvas (e.g., tent) sealer, but they breakdown after a few washes.  Not good if one wishes to rely on one's soft top during heavy (cross-country) downpours (as one does).

A winter project I'll be looking into is pulling that reportedly high quality original material and having it replaced with modern soft top material.

Don't mean to be a downer here; just thought you might like to be aware.

BTW, that instrument trim piece you so kindly sent looks terrific...thanks!  Once I actually get the car back I'll send you a photo or two.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 16:37:26 »
For soft top care use Wolfstein´s RaggTop Cleaner and Protectant. On Bob Geco´s (our resident car finish care expert) advice I started using this product and water beads off the soft top like on a duck´s back. I use the cleaner and the protectant only once a year and the protection just stays on perfectly. I used to use tent waterproofing spray and it came nowhere near the effectiveness offered by Raggtop. I sound like a commercial and I intend to, this time!

http://www.wolfsteins.com/main.htm

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 16:37:57 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II