Author Topic: Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop  (Read 1582 times)

RamAir

• Junior Level
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« on: May 20, 2024, 14:29:26 »
I have a 280SL that is a solid original body and chassis that has had an older cosmetic restoration. My client is interested in having the car restored to concours condition with modern upgrades similar to what Mechatronik is doing in Germany with installing an AMG V8. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Concours/Resto Mod Restoration Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 16:46:23 »
I thought the April fools jokes were long past.

If you have a client so situated, then they have basically endless amounts of money. Since there’s no substitute for experience, why don’t they just buy a Mechatronic or send the car over there?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 17:19:52 »
Good answer Mike, if he has that much money sent it off to shop that knows what they are doing.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 18:52:06 »
Why the harsh/rude response?
The OP asks a perfectly legitimate question.
Mechatronix are indeed well known for this type of work but that doesn't mean no-one else is capable.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 19:41:50 »
Just to remind everyone about the history of the research and development forum: I was the one who asked for this avenue because it was becoming obvious that street rodding, hot rodding, or resto-rodding our cars would be a clear source of consternation within our club. This was done at least 15 years ago.

Was I wrong to ask for that?
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 21:30:01 »
Why the harsh/rude response?
The OP asks a perfectly legitimate question.
Mechatronix are indeed well known for this type of work but that doesn't mean no-one else is capable.

Not a rude response but reality. You know full well, Stick, that the cost of a full “Concours quality restoration” is not a small fortune but a large one. Then add an AMG engine on top of the restoration? Does MB make any AMG engine in crate form (you know like many American companies?) So those two requirements send the price into orbit.

The OP mentioned Mechatronik. So now there is a known high level of quality standard added. They are very good at what they do. I saw and drove one of their cars. Fantastic. Superb quality. Drove like a dream. I’m a big believer in trusting the experienced. So if you want Mechatronic quality why not just start there?

And Bob Hyatt agrees—why not just go to a known entity?

If you know of other shops capable of doing this kind of high-quality restoration with an engine swap— somewhat close to the Mechatronic quality, let everyone know. Is this a task you could take on? Is it a task you would take on? Have you done similar engine swaps?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 21:34:34 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2024, 21:48:45 »
I'm not sure of the exact price of a Mechatronik Pagoda these days, but I would imagine it's over $500,000. They were getting $350k 10 years ago. So if someone wants a high quality restomod such as Mechatronik, they need to be realistic on what it takes to do it. Agree it's best to send the car to them, don't know anyone else doing restomod Pagodas at that high level of quality.
1969 280SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 07:59:19 »
We all started somewhere, including mechatronix.
In my working life I have seen several "high end" restoration shops arrive on the scene with little to no knowledge and yet, thanks to clever marketing, they are perceived around the world as experts even if their product does not withstand expert scrutiny.
There are those who kindly label me an expert but since I don't have a marketing department I remain largely anonymous by comparison.
who's to say there isn't another fledgling expert out there somewhere capable of producing what the OP is looking for.
Whether the Op can afford it or not is a matter for them.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 12:03:34 »
We all started somewhere, including mechatronix.

Yes that’s true. Unfortunately though, you didn’t answer the original poster’s question. You suggest firms that may be hiding somewhere because they don’t have a marketing department, but you didn’t name any. Nor did you respond to my simple questions of can or would you do such a restoration. What you are doing is responding to other’s responses, with a thinly veiled maligning of shops like say, that one in Cardiff everyone likes to slam…

Because the OP is fairly new to this forum—the first and only post, it seems likely that they don’t have extensive knowledge on the model, and maybe less on the nuance, time and cost of what it takes to do a Mechatronikworthy restomod. If they did they would not be here asking the question. There’s no substitute for experience.

What you could do, RamAir, is pick up a few years+ worth of old Classic Mercedes and Mercedes Enthusiast magazines. (Both from Sundial Publications out of UK) Go back 5-10 years. Scour them, and you will find some of the world’s top restoration houses that specialize in Mercedes. You’ll also find the occasional detailed story on one or more Restomods including Mechatronik. You can then start making calls. Go online and search also, for “Mercedes Restomods” and some names may pop up on finished cars (not necessarily Pagodas, and many with non-Mercedes engines) such as Mechatronik (no surprise there) Chris Warner Design, John Sarkisyan, Matthew Finbow, Derelict Design, Chip Foose, Renntech, Brabus and more. Start making calls and research their Restomods.

There are many firms that have done one off cars. If you have ever been to a SEMA show in Las Vegas, there are hundreds of one off restomod cars on display. The shops that do these would probably take on any make or model.

But I’ll stand by my original premise 100%: if a Mechatronik “M SL” quality restomod is what your client is looking for and they know and have the ability to pay for it, that might be my most serious call. They claim to build just five of them a year…
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 12:12:43 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RamAir

• Junior Level
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 13:14:52 »
Thank You for the information and suggestions. I did price the Mechatronik restoration cost and yes, it's just south of $500,000. My client choked a little bit and asked me to research a stateside shop and we don't necessarily want to do an engine swap, just modern drivability upgrades and restoration. I looked a Mercedes-Benz Classic Center, but they maintain the originality aspect. I to, am a purist snob and the thought of altering from OE gives me hives We are simply looking for a stateside shop attempting to strike a balance between preserving originality and enhancing drivability.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 15:16:31 »
Ramair,

Great that you joined as a "full member" and would really appreciate you keeping us in the loop if you do proceed with this project.    Even some of us purists really do respect the custom work.
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 20:43:48 »
the last i checked Gernold at SL Tech was a Mechatronic "distributor" here in the states.

i would start there if mechatronic the way the owner wants to go
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2024, 22:33:29 »
the last i checked Gernold at SL Tech was a Mechatronic "distributor" here in the states.

i would start there if mechatronic the way the owner wants to go

Gernold brought one to one of the last PUBs in Blacklick some years ago. That's when I had the opportunity to drive it. Don't know what happened to that car, probably sold.

If time isn't too important, RamAir, go to the next SEMA/AAPEX show in November; it's only six months away. As I mentioned, there will be so many restomods there you could talk to dozens of builders/makes all in one place all in one trip and see some of their work to boot. But if the client wants to get started soon, well, that's another story.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2024, 23:55:17 »
My client choked a little bit and asked me to research a stateside shop and we don't necessarily want to do an engine swap, just modern drivability upgrades and restoration.

If your client is ok with maintaining the original (type) engine that simplifies matters considerably. As for 'drivability upgrades' a partial list would include:
- 123 ignition
- progressive rate springs
- replace all suspension rubber (and all other rubber while at it) which will transform most older Pagoda's ride characteristics for the better
- bluetooth stereo
- proper working A/C, depending on your climate
- automatic seat belts
- depending on the transmission in the car (automatic or manual), maybe a rear differential upgrade (auto) or conversion to 5 or 6 speed (lots of work, not really necessary)

A properly sorted original spec Pagoda with these additional features will drive very comfortably and will be sufficiently quick for most people. 
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2024, 11:54:09 »
Check out David Kindig, has a custom garage in Saltlake City, Utah, has a TV program on Motor Trend channel. He did a kit car 300 SL Gullwing for a man that wanted a Gullwing, but could not afford the price of an original, so bough a kit then had David make modifications to make it look original including interior, and it had a updated V8 engine. This car was also shown at SEMA. Might touch base with him.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2024, 13:05:35 »
Look at BaT, today there is listing for a Gullwing restromod, the bids at $82,000 and 2 days left. Maybe instead of restromod a 280SL, should think about this Gullwing.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.