Author Topic: Speedo Stuck?  (Read 946 times)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Speedo Stuck?
« on: May 20, 2024, 19:52:06 »
Ok my self imposed suspension is over!  Been driving the car for 2 days.  Everything is working well but I lost my Speedo and my Fuel gage.  My odometer and trip are working.   So it is spinning.  I cannot see the pin the needle rests on. So I am thinking the needle just might be stuck?  Any tricks to get it to move?  I thought I read something somewhere but not finding it.
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Speedo Stuck?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 20:18:41 »
Can't help with your speedo problem, i'm sure someone will assist

As far as your fuel gauge no longer working, you had your instrument cluster 12 way connector open recently, perhaps you've lost your blue/black wire connection on pin 6, or the black/blue wire on pin 5, +ve from fuse 5, when you put it all back together

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 20:53:13 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 22:08:36 »
Yea I assume that is where things went wrong.  I checked the plug in the trunk and it is getting power so I am going to dive back into the connector tomorrow.  I just hope there is nothing I could have fried when I had the plugs plugged into the wrong connector.  But yes I am going pull all the wires down again tomorrow and check them all.  I know the gage worked because it was one of the first things I fixed and had to get a new Fuel Sender from MB.  So my crazy detour into wire hell definitely did something.  But the Speedo not being electrical is a little more confusing.  I know it worked too.  And the cable is definitely spinning if it is logging miles.  I hope it is just stuck on the pin and hope I don't need to pull out to unstick it.  I have some strong magnets coming later today... Hopefully that can do it.  If not I cannot remember when I took the speedo apart  how I got the little knob off.  I am reviewing videos and of course I did not record that part of the teardown.  But I will dig around a find something.  I am hoping I can just pull that off and use some canned air to blow the needle....

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 22:14:09 »
Shoot.  Just found some photographs I took.  That knob is held on by a C-Clip on the inside of the glass.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 21:04:00 »
So just an update... I went down to the Classic MB Center in Long Beach today to pickup a Fuel Sender and some seals.  Checked out a few cars.  The Pin for the Speedo Needle is clearly visible.  So my Needle is definitely up on the pin.  I am going to try a few things today before pulling everything out to knock it off. 

Am I crazy... My first idea was to get under there and try and tap on the gage.  Then if that does not work find a long screwdriver that I can get close the gage and still drive the car.  Get it up to 30 or 40 mph and then use the screw driver to tap on it again.  Maybe the car vibration the tapping and hopefully the tension from it try to engage will pop it off.  If not then I guess all those damn gages come out one more time.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 16:51:37 »
No go on the driving and tapping..  Going to try and air compressor today and if that does not do it I think the gages come out.  Yesterday I convinced myself I could just leave it for awhile since I am not speeding in this car but today or course my stubbornness wants it fixed.  So hopefully by end of day I have this fixed and the Fuel Gage figure out.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 19:20:59 »
Ok well I guess one thing about me having to redo stuff so often I am getting quicker.  Got all the instruments out in 20 minutes. I know going back in will be 10x amount of time.  But yes Speedo Needle super stuck on the pin.  Free it up and did the drill test and all seems good.  So back in they go.  Found at least 1 blown bulb at this point.   Guessing I will find more....  Hope I have enough spares! Or I saved all my old ones so if I have to one of those will go in.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 19:23:26 »
oh one quick question that I found out on some other post.  I only had a ground wire to my Tach, do I need one to the bracket on the Instruments and Speedo too? I am going to screw in longer wires so I dont have to tear my hands apart trying to get them under the nut.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 01:14:10 »
Ok have all the gauges back in.  I have a wire hanging off of the bracket for the instruments that I can ground if I need to.  Fired her up and tach works all the gauges on the Instrument lit up (except for fuel because it is not connected yet) and the needle is resting so gently on the pin!  I am going to call it and just read about the fuel sender and all those wires that are not adding up.  Tomorrow hopefully I figure that out!  Damnit as I am typing I realize I did not trace the wires to the dash lamp from the door when I had everything out.   Oh well I guess it would not fun if I did it the easy way.