Author Topic: Clock accuracy  (Read 1459 times)

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
Clock accuracy
« on: June 02, 2024, 15:51:56 »
I took my ‘71 out for a Sunday morning spin while wearing a new watch.  First time driven in two weeks.  When I checked the clock against my iPhone and watch all were within a minute of one another.  Really remarkable for a 53 year old electromechanical clock!  Jeffrey Read from Houston cleaned and calibrated it two years ago.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 16:00:18 by lreppond »
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Re: Clock accuracy
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2024, 20:24:24 »
Wow.  remarkable.  mine is right on....twice a day.

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2024, 21:41:19 »
Would not be too difficult considering modern miniature technology to have a dead-nuts accurate quartz clock WITH a sound chip that plays that electro-mechanical sound that so many purists love!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 12:13:53 »
Great to see the Merc’s clock is working perfectly. I can’t see all the detail but I think someone may have sold you a fake Rolex?
Dave
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2024, 16:55:00 »
Ouch! My Rolex I bought new in Palm Beach in 1991 (for $2,500 at Mayor's) was once accused of being a fake, by a Dutch Mercedes club official, but Peter van Es had my back.
A few years ago I decided to put a fake ceramic bezel on it though, since I really like the look of those.
I've had to have it serviced only once in those 33 years, but recently I noticed it is starting to run a bit slow again, so I think that means it's time for another cleaning.
My Pagoda clock is more accurate since I replaced it with a quartz example ... 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 17:00:19 by Cees Klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2024, 21:41:08 »
My clock has always run 1 minute slow each day since I bought the car in 2009.  So every time I get in the car for a drive I reset it and know exactly how many days it's been since my last drive.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2024, 17:11:36 »
Great to see the Merc’s clock is working perfectly. I can’t see all the detail but I think someone may have sold you a fake Rolex?

That’s the great thing about Rolex watches…everything thinks they’re a fake.  With all the theft of watches lately, I hope others think it’s fake too.
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2024, 15:34:31 »
...I've had to have it serviced only once in those 33 years, but recently I noticed it is starting to run a bit slow again, so I think that means it's time for another cleaning.

For my 45th birthday [quite] a few years ago, I received a NEW (from the dealer), TAG Heuer Chronograph style watch. Don't know if it meets the specs for a true chronograph, but it is a true TAG Heuer. It's quartz with a battery. After about a year, the battery died. So I took it to the dealer. The dealers are not authorized to change batteries in TAG Heuers; they have to go to the importer's service center. It takes about six weeks and as I recall, something like $150-$200. I was infuriated. I said, let me get this straight: every year, I need to give you my watch for six weeks, along with $150-$200 in order to keep it running in batteries? Silence from the dealer.

...and then I took it to a regular jeweler, and for $7.50 he changed the battery. He said TAG likes to re-seal the watch in case I take it scuba diving. Um, no.

SO, Cees my friend--expect a nice invoice from the Rolex dealer!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2024, 12:43:33 »
I have a Tag Heuer Carrera mechanical watch, and I did swim with it, and once, on my racing bike, got drenched wearing it. I've owned it since 2004 but it has had two services, both at Tag Heuer. When you do get it under water it appears they do need more service. The shaft of the winder knob was rusted and broke about 2 years ago.

I now have it on a winder as that keeps the mechanicals in much better condition. But mechanical watches do need to be used, and need maintenance. Just like Pagodas, I suppose.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2024, 19:59:52 »
I collect mechanical watches and clocks too. (I think there’s a strong correlation between those who love vintage cars and mechanical watches.)

As Peter points out both require regular maintenance for them to operate at peak level.  The Kienzle dash clocks have points that go bad roughly every 10 years.  In mechanical watches and clocks, it’s typically old oil and disintegrated gaskets that cause issues, also at 10 year intervals.  Repair work on our cars or watches is expensive. 

I also collect vintage fountain pens and typewriters.  Anything mechanical holds a particular fascination to me.  I wonder if others here feel the same way?
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2024, 21:59:02 »
Watches and mechanical things seem natural to me to go hand in hand, however I am finding fewer and fewer people into mechanical things (and old cars).   Many of the younger people at my work don't even own a car and if they need one, they car share.   Part of this is the price of real estate / renting but the other part is much of the younger generation seems to be more interested in 20 second tik toks on their iphone.

I also collect mechanical watches (inexpensive ones) and am always looking for an Omega Speedmaster at garage sales as it gives me a good excuse to strike up a conversation.  Many times I'll meet an older guy with a mechanical watch and very quickly the conversation turns to old cars.  Conversations with younger people not so much. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2024, 05:22:16 »
Len, great to know your watch is the real deal, always hard to tell from photos 😀

Bonnyboy, you are obviously in a very good neighbourhood if your local garage sales include Omega Seamaster watches!
Dave
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2024, 12:43:15 »
I agree with prepping, vintage cars and mechanical watches go hand and hand. My VDO clock stopped and I was desperate to find a repair shop for it. However, before I took the clock out of the dashboard, I checked the fuses in the firewall fuse box. Well low and behold, that #1 8A fuse had blown. Replaced the fuse and clock starting working again along with the map light, entrance light, signal light, and socket hand light.  Did notice another blown fuse, the #8 8A fuse for left tail light, parking light left, license plate left, fog lights right and left. So since I do “very little” night driving, I have not noticed the left tail light not working as well as the other lights on the fuse. Now what really is a shock, is that some 15 years ago I was replacing new tail light gaskets/seals a (with my SL being European, DOT at that time of import, required side marker lights, so the company that did the changes from European specs to American specs wired the side marker lights into the rear light female sockets.) well as I finished the job of new gaskets/seals I reversed the polarity of the wires, which blew the fuse when I turned on the lights. This blow must have happened years ago. And I don’t check the fuse box but rarely. Anyway all okay now. So I have an Omega Seamaster for everyday use and it gets a restoration every 5 to 6 years. Also just had my classic Rolex in the shop for it’s maintenance. Can’t send to Rolex any longer, watch is too old, so had to find a shop that is (1) reputable, and (2) is an authority of older mechanical watches. The generation Z will not be wearing machanicals, they all have Apple Watches that can be thrown away when their usefulness is over. I think that why it’s hard to get a generation x,y & z wanting to purchase this cars. They have no relation to them.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto