Author Topic: clock removal process  (Read 1065 times)

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
clock removal process
« on: June 12, 2024, 13:39:17 »
Hi Guys , i've been having my clock not working for more than 10 years , now it's time to repair. Do you have some video procedure on how to remove and put back again ? i read that you need to remove the glove box first . The most challenging part is to re align the glove box once again . Any suggestion would be helpful. Mine is the original one and suddenly stopped working about 10 years ago. The light bulb is also not working. I would prefer to keep originality and not put the quartz movement . Since i disconnect the battery when i do not use the car , the clock will be not working with no power , is this process dangerous for the clock itself ? Thank you
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: clock removal process
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 17:32:37 »
As you have already deduced, you have to remove the glove box to get the clock out.

su8pack1

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Barto
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 00:31:49 »
I had mine out when I replaced the heater/air controls.
1969 280SL
1984 300CD
1987 190E 2.6
1988 190D 2.5

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 06:32:18 »
Hi,
removing the clock and lighting it is quite easy. You can do it through the radio slot or the removed glove box. I prefer the latter because my glove box is only secured with 2 screws: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/Glovebox.
The clock itself is held by a bracket (2 knurled nuts). First loosen the plug and then the bracket, done.
...WRe

Bill

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Fair Oaks
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 15:10:48 »
Removing both the glove box and clock is fairly simple. My brother in law dismantled the clock and discovered a faulty diode. He replaced the original  diode with a new on plus cleaned the clock. It now works great.,

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2024, 12:21:30 »
Diode? Is there a diode there?

I think the worst that can happen is when you disassemble clock, you see one soldering point disconnected - staring in your eyes, you solder it back and you are happy the clock works. But you might just have created a time bomb...

Read the Technical Manual and related posts before doing anything with the clock.

Mauro, your resources have recently significantly increased. You now have partner/helper with smaller and more delicate palms and fingers. It is precious for under dash work. Ventilation and heating levers assembly overhaul or instruments removal are now pieces of cake.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 12:29:31 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class