Author Topic: Soft Top... Gahh?  (Read 1344 times)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Soft Top... Gahh?
« on: June 12, 2024, 17:43:36 »
Hi,
So I am on to the Soft Top now.  I bought all my interior pieces from GAHH.  Seeing anyone has any thoughts on there tops?  To be honest I am a little annoyed with them for selling me carpets that don't belong in my car.  (The Driver and Passenger Footwell...After the purchase I found that the 230sl only came with Rubber Mats Not Carpet)
But they are also Local and I can go and pick it up.  I am thinking about buying one for Fathers Day and having my Kids help me install it as my Fathers day gift!

I watched the video and have read a little on this site.  I am sure many have done the top... How long does it take... obviously as at total estimate.   Think it could be done in a Single day with 2 helpers?
Thanks
Aaron
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: Soft Top... Gahh?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 18:17:54 »
I did the same. I bought the carpet and leather from Gahh. The soft-top however I bought from Cabrio.de. I have not installed it yet but also plan to do it myself. I bought an installation instructions CD for the soft top on eBay. It is in German but has quiet a few good pictures, showing the process. PM me if you are interested in a copy. What video are you talking about?   
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 23:05:22 »
Reading thru posts I found someone link to this video...  If yours has some better info let me know I and I will reach out.  It would be great (and a first) to have a full game plan before I start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjRcJm-tigE

A

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 12:15:37 »
I think you linked the wrong video.   

This is what I used when I replaced my top last year.  It took 2 days by myself.  First day, removed old top, cleaned frame and dry fitted new top. 2nd day installed.  You will end up removing and redoing some areas that won't lay right or the top won't latch because it's too tight, etc. 

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop#Replace

https://www.worlduph.com/instructions/topmbW113instructions.htm

https://youtu.be/6Cf-eWmC9h4?si=vFQfki_8bNE66f9z

Lori
1968 280SL (US)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 12:48:23 »
haha yes.  Whoops. But you linked the one I was trying to link.  The Palm Beach Classics Video.  Cool about the others too!

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024, 12:49:32 »
Lori, yes now thinking it should be a 2 day.  Once off I have a lot of cleaning to do!
Thanks
Aaron

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2024, 14:38:55 »
If I may add to this, if your existing soft top frame is good, the removal and cleaning should go fast. There are quiet a few hinge bolts that are screwed and than peened. If any of these need replacement, it will get time consuming. SLS has a good video on the subject, should you need to replace any of these. There is also a fabric piece on the front bow that may need replacement due to age. On my soft top the straps that are screwed to the cross members were included. I don't think Gahh includes them and you may have to buy them separate.
I am told that the top has to be at temperature, meaning put it in the sun and let it warm up prior to installation.
I saw the Palm Beach video. IMO, it is more of a promotional video for the company than an actual "How To" video. They take a lot of time talking about the removal and describing the somewhat obvious. The actual installation of the new top is quick and lacks any real tips or advise . (Just my opinion).   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 14:44:23 by dirkbalter »
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024, 01:34:11 »
Cool thanks for the Advice.  I also assume that, like everything else on this car, I am going to learn a lot slowly removing everything.
I think I am going to pick it up tomorrow... So maybe take a whack at it this weekend!

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 16:14:28 »
I think this is the longest without a post since I joined a year ago!  But 2 weeks ago I had the kids help and we put the the soft top on!  Actually went on pretty easily, I was shocked.  I have had the top up for 2 weeks.  Took her out for some PCH driving yesterday.  Man a new top REALLY makes the car look great (but of course it would, since I knew I was doing the top, it was pretty ragged)!  But I am going check it all again today and if it is all good I am going to the rubber.  Then shockingly I am pretty much done with everything I was going to do to the car! Which was amazing because last weekend I got my renewal notice.  So pretty much finished on the 1 year mark!  But I will post a thank you to the other section.

Now it is little things... I am not doing the paint or chrome right now.  That will come in a couple years after I get some good driving in. But there are some chips that I am working on...  Anyone have any good videos or ideas how to clean up chips?  I see tons of stuff on scratches which seem simple enough but I have some bigger issues....