Author Topic: Injection Linkage Socket  (Read 777 times)

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
Injection Linkage Socket
« on: June 19, 2024, 14:31:15 »
Has anyone seen this problem before; I bought two sets of injection linkage sockets from Niemöller and I can not get the sockets to properly seat on the rods. I tried pressing the ball socket onto the ball stud but ended up bending the internal "C" clip. We then pressed the socket on the stud while rocking it back and forth and did get the socket to 'seat' but while simulating actual use, the socket slipped off the ball stud. On inspection the "C" clip although still in groove, had expanded. Niemöller is saying they have sold hundreds of these without any issues. I have bought from them many times in the past with no problems.
Has anyone else encountered this and if so what was the solution?
thanks

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: Injection Linkage Socket
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 15:33:15 »
I have always bought mine from the Classic Center and never had issues. Maybe it is the wrong size? Those are a pretty common item in the euro car world. BTW, looks like you have grease inside the socket. Long term that will attract and hold dirt and cause accelerated wear. Grease should should only be used on sockets that are sealed. Many use a dry lube like graphite as you would for locks on these sockets. I use motor oil but flush the sockets once a year which removes any debris that collects.   
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Peter h

• Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 15:50:18 »
When they are new you shouldn't put in a lot of grease
Peter
08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 16:11:28 »
No experience with ones from Niemoeller, always bough them from Mercedes dealer.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 16:47:54 »
My original question is, 'has any seen this problem before'.  My problem isn't using grease (as at this point we are only testing how to get a good fit without the socket and ball separating during actual use). I'm interested if anyone else encountered this problem before. Wwheeler's comments on Classic Center will probably be the direction I go as he has used them in past without issues. Dimensionally, they are nearly identical to the OEM pieces (if I factor a few thousandths for wear). The location of the "C" clip position measured from outside of the socket  is 3.8mm on the original sockets and 5.6mm on ones I received. I'm going to cut one in half and look at internal dims   

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 17:51:30 »
OK figured out the problem; For anyone who buys injection sockets and can not seat the ball onto the socket, this is the process to fix the problem.
The defect in the socket is that the 'C' clip is not at the proper dimension and needs to be expanded inside the socket.
To do this insert a .300" screw into the socket grabbing the 'C' Clip and screw all the way in until it bottoms out. Continue screwing in several rotations forcing the 'C' clip to ride over the major diameter of the screw thread. Remove the screw and 'C' clip should now allow for proper insertion of ball. Repeat process as needed
photo supplied shows improperly seated ball and socket, next the screw inserted in socket, last a properly seating ball and socket   

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 04:39:24 »
My personal opinion is that I would first buy sockets from Mercedes. See if they fit and if they do, throw those in the garbage. If the the injection pump fuel rod socket were to pop off during driving, the engine would run severely lean momentarily and possibly cause damage to the engine. Not worth the risk. The sockets are not that expensive. FYI, the Mercedes sockets that have LH threads are marked for easy identification.

The only reason I mentioned the grease in the socket, is that it is commonly understood that it is good to use in unsealed sockets. It is not for the reason I listed and and hopefully prevent someone else from doing that.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6