Author Topic: heat shield color and finish queston  (Read 587 times)

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
heat shield color and finish queston
« on: July 02, 2024, 17:29:45 »
Hello,
I'll be installing my new exhaust soon and realized that not all of the heat shields I have now are original, so I would like to clean and correctly paint them before the new exhaust goes in. 

Can anyone describe the original factory finish on the exhaust heat shields?   

The middle and rear are newer for sure and the front one I think must be original and is very corroded.  Its hard to tell if it had primer or paint on it because the original horizon blue isnt that far off from primer color.  I dont know if the shields went in before or after factory paint?   I also dont know if anything was changed when the first exhaust was replaced back in the early 80's or when the car was repainted before that.

thanks much, Mark
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Re: heat shield color and finish queston
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 16:18:24 »
Since no one has weighed in I'll give you the best info I have. I think mine are orginal but have no way of knowing for sure. My long center one is mill finished aluminum but was all scuffed up so I had it powder coated silver. With it all assembled and exhaust in place no one notices! I would guess that the original was the mill finish.

On the front one at the idler arm, I think it is steel. What its original finish was I don't know but I also had it powder coated silver. I had the little bracket cad plated along with a bunch of other parts, then painted clear coat over the cad.

I know this doesn't respond to your question as to what the original finish was but its the best I info I could track down.  Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 20:01:39 »
Thank you!   Silver makes good sense for a heat shield so I am going to go ahead with that, using some VHT high temp paint.    Silver should reflect the largest IR spectrum.   I'm painting the new exhaust flat black since that will have the highest emissivity and is close to what came from the factory.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 13:00:26 »
Factory exhaust was more a gray/black
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 21:00:42 »
I ceramic coated my heat shields. The ceramic coating and has a much thinner and a nicer satin finish than does powder coating. Plus has a higher heat tolerance. They look brand new and will last forever.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6