Author Topic: Engine number  (Read 1046 times)

Jeffsandoval

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Whitehouse
Engine number
« on: July 04, 2024, 16:15:28 »
I am in the process of selling my 1969 280sl. The engines has no number on it due to an engine replacement before I purchased it.The interested party lives in Honduras. He says he can’t import the car without an engine number. How would go about finding the engine number or am I and the buyer out of luck on this?

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Engine number
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 19:27:53 »
Best would be if you find your original engine number (Mercedes Classic Center, buy your car's data card from them).

Then, get a 0-9 number punch set off EBay, Amazon etc (I think they are 9 mm sized) and simply punch the number from the data card into the engine block.

This was presumably what the dealers should/would have done back in the day when they received replacement engines from Mercedes and why Mercedes did not just assign additional engine numbers themselves.

Another benefit of doing this is that your Honduras-based buyer will have a Pagoda with the original engine in it, truly "numbers matching".
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Jeffsandoval

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Whitehouse
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 02:32:37 »
Thank you, that is a good idea.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 10:23:40 »
Best would be if you find your original engine number (Mercedes Classic Center, buy your car's data card from them).

Then, get a 0-9 number punch set off EBay, Amazon etc (I think they are 9 mm sized) and simply punch the number from the data card into the engine block.

This was presumably what the dealers should/would have done back in the day when they received replacement engines from Mercedes and why Mercedes did not just assign additional engine numbers themselves.

Another benefit of doing this is that your Honduras-based buyer will have a Pagoda with the original engine in it, truly "numbers matching".

I believe it is also fraud.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2024, 11:56:49 »
I believe it is also fraud.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do…especially when dealing with nonsensical pedantic rule-heavy third world country import regulations.

Is there any other reasonable solution, short of showing up at the customs office at the Honduras port of entry with a suitcase full of cash, and bribing someone? That might work but is more than 50/50 odds one might end up in a Honduras prison.

In the suggested case here one isn’t CHANGING a VIN or engine number but rather adding one where one doesn’t exist…therefore the best solution.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2024, 14:12:17 »
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do…especially when dealing with nonsensical pedantic rule-heavy third world country import regulations.

Is there any other reasonable solution, short of showing up at the customs office at the Honduras port of entry with a suitcase full of cash, and bribing someone? That might work but is more than 50/50 odds one might end up in a Honduras prison.

In the suggested case here one isn’t CHANGING a VIN or engine number but rather adding one where one doesn’t exist…therefore the best solution.

That may be but it is still fraud.  By stamping the original engine number you are thus purporting that the car has it's original engine, which it does not.  If you want to stamp an engine number on it then stamp a number that is unlikely to exist on any other W113.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2024, 14:41:55 »
What about getting Tauschaggregatt plate and stamp number on it? It would be true.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Jeffsandoval

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Whitehouse
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2024, 18:59:02 »
That’s true. I could do that as well.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2024, 19:44:00 »
That’s true. I could do that as well.

...or stamp the original engine number with suffix "-R" which is a common suffix for something replaced.

If the replacement engine doesn't have ANY ID number, then any number is as good as any other. You're not trying to defraud a buyer into thinking the engine is original, you are simply trying to get the car imported. In your sales documents to the buyer, include a note that the engine has been replaced.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid