Author Topic: 1 Year Thank You!  (Read 834 times)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
1 Year Thank You!
« on: July 10, 2024, 16:28:56 »
Just wanted to post a BIG THANK YOU!  To this amazing and wonderful community.  This last weekend I got my renewal message.  I could not believe it has been a year and also cannot believe it is only been a year!!

The weekend before my year anniversary I completed the last big task I had on my list.  Putting on a new SoftTop my kids got me for father's day and had them help me with it!

But when I joined I had no intention of doing what I have done with this car.  With some extra time and support I ended up tackling more that I ever thought possible.  Initially I planned to just fix or cover the seats because they were torn and the horsehair would scratch you.  (Funny my kids are 20 and 21.  I have have the car 20 years.  It sat for basically the last 10-15 rarely driven.  But when I got it out this last summer and took them for a drive they said the only thing they really remember from riding in it ~ 10 years ago is how the seats scratched their legs)

But once I bought new covers and got the seats out, I decided to try and just do them myself.  With this group, I went for it.

That quickly led to me doing the carpets, then all the MBTex and taking every part of the dash apart.  Dissasembling every singe part of the Dash... Tach, Speedo, Instrument, Clock, Radio, Wiper Motor, Blower, heater core... All the way!  Took it all apart and got everything working again...  Restored the wood, cleaned rust (trunk) and put it all back together with mostly new Rubber (Windshield being the worst of it! Don't ever want to do that again.)

But it is all back together and everything works for the first time since I have owned the car!

Still need to do Paint and Chrome but that will be after a couple years of fun driving.  I am working on some paint chips but once I get those cleaned up I will post some pics.

But again..Thank you for all the support.  Especially when I went down a crazy electrical rabbit hole and took all that apart and mixed it all up!  No way I could have sort it out with out this group for sure!

**Forgot to add.  I really look forward to now learning how to maintain the engine on this car.  Like most of the stuff I have done... I don't have much experience but I am very excited to take on that challenge now and have a car I can keep running on my own.. I know this group will walk me through it all!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 16:35:41 by acbrock »
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

Brennie

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Re: 1 Year Thank You!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 17:02:31 »
Bravo…speaking for us all….

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 18:43:51 »
This is what we do it all for… now join at some events and feel the real life camaraderie amongst members of this group!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 22:02:35 »
You've done really well and made full use of the community's collective knowledge which is what we're here for.

Engine maintenance is relatively straightforward, once it's all sorted and in good tune. You'll enjoy it I am sure.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 23:30:17 »
A good reason to make it to the October Pagodas and Beer event in San Diego! Lots of people there to help, then you can ask questions and see it being done in real time.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 00:06:47 »
A good reason to make it to the October Pagodas and Beer event in San Diego! Lots of people there to help, then you can ask questions and see it being done in real time.

ABSOLUTELY!  There's nothing like meeting a bunch of Pagoda nuts IN REAL LIFE, with real cars in real time!  Don't miss the Pagodas and Beer in San Diego!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 06:17:09 »
Another reason to visit Pagoda events is it can provide an opprtunity to drive some other Pagodas so you can experience how they drive. After 50 years, very few cars ride like new and there are significant differences in the amount of power, noise, handling, seat comfort, braking etc that you can't know unless you've driven in different cars.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 16:49:08 »
Sounds great.  I will definitely do my best to make it down to San Diego...
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"