Author Topic: Going to be rebuilding an M180, any tips, tricks I need to be aware of?  (Read 377 times)

Heckflosse

• Junior Level
  • Canada, Alberta, Sherwood Park
My M129 in my 66 230S is pretty much toast. Nothing I've done has improved the idle problem it still does what it does no matter where anything is set at. So I'm going to concede that the engine is "done"

So I'm going to be picking up a 230S motor, a M180 from 1966. It's a burner, as I understand a lot of these were. But it ran and had compression. I want to overhaul it and obviously make it run cleaner.

I've rebuilt a lot of engines in the past, primarily Buick and Oldsmobile, plus probably about 100 SB Chevys. So I do know a few things. But I've never done a vintage Mercedes 6 before, and from what I've seen so far with these things, they appear to be fragile and finicky, and like most European things, interchangeable parts, - don't, it's a nice suggestion.

Some questions for those of you who've rebuilt these things.
1) Can it be bored to oversize? What oversizes are available?
    If there are no oversize pistons available, can it be sleeved?
2) Can the cam be built up?
3) How easy are the heads to work with? Are guides removeable, are there valve seals available?
4) Since this is an alloy head, do the valve seats need to be replaced?
5) how much can the crank be cut down?
6) Is there a good source for parts, ie valves, springs, rockers, gears, pistons, rings and bearings?

Are there any tricks to these things that have to be known? Such as, how to get the chain taken apart? Any pitfalls, newbie mistakes, things not to do?
Is the engine something that an average machine shop can tackle, or is there something that is very specialized going on?

I realize this is a long list, but I'd only ever like to do this job once, and I realize it's not going to be cheap either. Forewarned is forearmed....

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 02:05:59 by Heckflosse »