Author Topic: My pagoda!  (Read 673 times)

Ahealey12

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, San Antonio
My pagoda!
« on: July 24, 2024, 14:45:15 »
Posted the history a bit in other threads but wanted to do an introduction. Already so appreciative of what I’ve been able to accomplish in just two weeks of having her!

My grandma bought her in 1982 with my grandfather. Ended up with her in the divorce then my Step grandfather (who i knew more) drove her 50 miles each way to work in rural pa/ny from probably 2005-2012 (can’t remember years they were married). He drove it as his “flashy” car but just in good weather and stored in winter. When they divorced in around 2012 he always said it would go to me as i was the car guy in the family. Long story short my grandma drove it off and on until around 5 years ago when the breaks went out and she parked it. My uncle then wanted to keep it and fix it himself, never getting the time to do it. One time i even drove from Texas to pa just hoping i could grab it while i was out of work for a month between jobs.  Then this winter he calls me up and says he realizes he doesn’t have the time and had other priorities so i can have it if im still interested.

Now i finally have room and time i got it shipped down two weeks ago. Without it running for 5 years i had to replace master cylinder and all front brake lines and rubber, all rubber in the fuel system and clean out the warm running device (didn’t help) then clean the contacts on the  csv (started right up) and replace the distributor with a 123.  She now runs better than ever! Next up is waiting on vacuum gauge to adjust the transmission and an interior refresh. I’ll keep the paint as is for a while (small bubbles here and there).

Anyway super excited to be a part of the community and have my original classic dream car back up and running! Thanks all so far and sure I’ll continue to learn! (Ps anyone have recommendations on putting hubcaps back on without denting them? I’m waiting till tires Friday to put back on all are dented from putting on in past)

1967 230sl auto
1967 Chevelle ls swap
1968 bronco ls swap project
2022 zl1 Camaro
2021 Range Rover velar daily family car

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: My pagoda!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 16:15:00 »
I hit the hubcaps on the 'proud' edge, not on anywhere flat. The convex/concave sections are much stronger and won't dent. Hold the bottom in, then press, then hit it at the top, something like that. Easier to show than to describe in words!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Ahealey12

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, San Antonio
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 16:41:30 »
Smart! Ya looks like these have been hit inside that edge. I’ll try this out later this week. Gonna try to flatten out them some too
1967 230sl auto
1967 Chevelle ls swap
1968 bronco ls swap project
2022 zl1 Camaro
2021 Range Rover velar daily family car

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2024, 16:43:56 »
As Cees says, and make sure you have a towel or something soft on the floor, so if they bounce off they don't hit concrete or gravel

i have more problems getting the chrome rings on, i think the secret is to push them on a little bit at a time working around the wheel, i tried pushing one side in and then wallapping the other side with the palm of my hand, they bounce off like a missile and i just get a sore hand
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

PS1971280SL

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, palm springs
  • I own a silver/blk 1971 280SL vin 113044-10-021716
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2024, 17:10:58 »
Congratulations, looks like a beauty, love the color combination!
I live in Palm Springs and am a business owner in the hospitality business with LVRBO properties in both Palm Springs and Manhattan Beach.

See modmansions.com and theseaviewinn.com for details