Author Topic: Stiff price for instrument cluster.  (Read 1379 times)

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
Stiff price for instrument cluster.
« on: July 30, 2024, 00:18:21 »
Got an estimate today from MO-ma out of Alburquerque NM for restoration of my dash gages for $5700US. I think it's a little extremely high. Does anyone know of a repair shop a little cheaper?
1970 280SL/8 W113 101624 miles.
1950 MG-TD
2021 Harley Davidson CVO Trike

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Stiff price for instrument cluster.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2024, 11:32:20 »
Have you contacted the usual gang of suspects which includes Palo Alto Speedometer, Bob’s Speedometer or North Hollywood Speedometer?

These are the three leaders that I know. Mine were all fully restored by Palo Alto years ago. Not cheap but came back looking better than new.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 11:42:53 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2024, 11:42:15 »
Do your instruments actually need to be 'restored'? At that cost, I would have a go myself, if all they need is a cleaning and lubrication for example.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 11:52:26 »
Thanks, I'm going to check with them today.
1950 MG-TD

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2024, 16:12:05 »
After talking to the folks in Palo Alto and got their quote I decided to take another look at the instrument cluster I'm going to try another way. My big problems were the Tach not working and the bezel on the center gage package needs changed which I just ordered. The Tach I got it to work by spraying electric cleaner down the cable hole then once it evaporated then I sprayed silicone into the hole, then hooked up the cable to my drill and it worked like it was supposed to.
1950 MG-TD

George3

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2024, 19:43:25 »
That does seem extremely high. Try Stone Belvin. 1 406 794 5220. he is in our facebook Group Mercedes Rescue and specializes in Mercedes clusters.

Bill Sgro

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Bradenton
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2024, 01:26:34 »
I have had work done by Palo Alto and was extremely satisfied.  I had my clock repaired by Ft. Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass and was very pleased also.  I think they are more for marine use gauges.  I would say they are certainly worth a phone call.  They used to advertise in The Star.  954-522-4885.
1970 280SL
1970 300SEL 3.5

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2024, 05:24:48 »
The Tach I got it to work by spraying electric cleaner down the cable hole then once it evaporated then I sprayed silicone into the hole, then hooked up the cable to my drill and it worked like it was supposed to.
Glad you got it working, CJ.  Hopefully the glass replacement goes just as smooth.

It's a lesson to all members, post your problem to the forum and try to understand things better.  Don't just replace or repair stuff without digging in yourself first.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2024, 15:43:53 »
Don't just replace or repair stuff without digging in yourself first.

While there's absolutely nothing wrong with a good go at a repair, understand the difference between squirting a solvent and then a lubricant inside a hole in an instrument, and a full rebuild and restoration. The latter involves a tear-down and look at all the internals and replacing and or repairing internal parts such that the instrument functions as new, and also looks new. The solvent/lube just kind of woke things up, perhaps gummed up over time.

Yes that full teardown and rebuild is a lot of work. That's why the cost from the professionals like Palo Alto (and their brethren who have been mentioned in other similar posts) is high--it's a lot of work. And, they've done it thousands of times so nothing is a mystery to them once they open things up.  At the time I sent Palo Alto my instrumentation--all of it--things didn't seem so costly. I want to say the total cost for everything (including clock conversion) was maybe $750 or so. I had no idea if anything worked or not as the car was not functioning when I got it. I just sent it all to them.

Everyone's nightmare is a part (which could include instrumentation) that requires a LOT of YOUR labor to remove, a bit of quick repair, and replacement only to have it fail again in some way. Everything original on our cars is at least 50 years old now. I learned my lessons early on by trying to cut some time/labor/money corners only to have such efforts backfire in the end. I have never been disappointed when any part of the Pagoda's myriad systems and subsystems have been sent out to professionals for restoration...or in some cases, when I've purchased fully remanufactured parts (with core turn in).

Here are the things I've done that with:

Brake calipers: sent out for professional rebuild at a local "foreign auto parts" store
FIP: sent out the H&R Fuel Injection, (I think they simply swapped out a rebuilt)
Distributors: sent to Dan Caron and Glenn Ring for rebuilds.
Alternator: bought Bosch remanufactured, turned in the old one for core. (bad luck with a local rebuild)
Starter: bought Bosch remanufactured, turned in the old one for core. (bad luck with a local rebuild)
PS Pump: bought remanufactured, turned in the old one for core.
Steering Gear: bought remanufactured, turned in the old one for core.
Auto Transmission: bought remanufactured, turned in the old one for core. (Some bad luck resulting in lots of damage to the old one...)
Instrumentation: restored by Palo Alto
Radiator: re-cored through Gernold Nisius @ SL Tech
Driveshift: restored by Driveline Service of Portland Oregon
Engine: rebuilt by Metric Motors, long block (included a head repair. They found a minor crack.)

But we all have our own approach and methodology to living with and caring for our beloved Pagodas.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid