Author Topic: Front Brakes Won't Fully Release  (Read 594 times)

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
Front Brakes Won't Fully Release
« on: August 29, 2024, 14:27:02 »
I have been working on my brake restoration off and on for awhile. I'm back on it and seem to be near the end.

I had the master cylinder, booster, proportioning valve and calipers all rebuilt.

I replaced all brake lines and hoses.

Put everything back together and bench bled the master cylinder and bled all lines.

Took it out for a short test drive and when I returned all four wheels were very hot. It seemed when driving that the brakes were not fully releasing. The brake pedal did not go down very far when braking.

When installing the Booster, I put the eccentric bolt to the exact position it had been before I started all this. I adjusted the eccentric bolt and backed off the rod from the booster to the master cylinder thinking the rod was too long and not letting the master cylinder pistons return all the way.

Test drove it again and it improved slightly but the wheels still would not turn freely and were not as hot as before. Adjusted the bolt some more and improved it to the point where the rear wheels would release and I could turn them, but the fronts were hard to turn. I cracked open the front lines to the master cylinder while the brakes were hot and this released the front brakes and wheels turned freely.

Took it out again and front brakes would not completely release again.

When I let the brakes cool overnight they fully release and the wheels all turn freely but when I take it out the same thing starts again. So it seems that as the brakes heat up from braking and driving this causes the brakes to not release fully.

Bottom line I'm stuck.  :(

Any help is appreciated.

Tony

Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
Re: Front Brakes Won't Fully Release
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2024, 17:53:39 »
Hi Tony, I had a similar problem when I had my power brake booster rebuilt a few years back. The shop that rebuilt the booster did a poor job and it wouldn’t fully release pressure off the master cylinder. When the front brakes heated up they wouldn’t release. Disconnect the vacuum line off the booster; if the brakes release, that rebuilt brake booster could be the culprit.

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2024, 18:05:02 »
Hey Charles,

Thanks! I check it out tomorrow and report back.

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024, 16:29:47 »
Hi Tony, I had a similar problem when I had my power brake booster rebuilt a few years back. The shop that rebuilt the booster did a poor job and it wouldn’t fully release pressure off the master cylinder. When the front brakes heated up they wouldn’t release. Disconnect the vacuum line off the booster; if the brakes release, that rebuilt brake booster could be the culprit.

Well I took it out for a drive again and when I returned the fronts were almost locked up but could turn the wheels with some effort. Rears were slightly under pressure but could turn the wheels with less effort.

I disconnected the vacuum line from the Booster and no change to the wheels releasing.

Does this mean that the Master cylinder is the culprit? If so what could the problem be?

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 18:40:07 »
Since you replaced the brake hoses (so they are not the culprit), and there is some free play between pedal and master cylinder, my next investigation would be into the master cylinder, indeed.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2024, 18:44:27 »
Adjust the eccentric on the push pin. There should be play at that point or the brakes will lock up.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 15:52:55 »
..and confirm the intermediate lever isn’t binding https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=36889.0.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 16:14:43 by Charles 230SL »