Author Topic: Personal Messages  (Read 218 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Personal Messages
« on: September 18, 2024, 19:06:59 »
Dear members,

Recently I have seen a large increase in members replying to personal message notification e-mails. When someone sends you a personal message, you will receive an e-mailed notification. I'm enclosing an example of such an e-mail here:

You have just been sent a personal message by some_member on Pagoda SL Group.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:

<the actual text of the message deleted>

Reply to this Personal Message by clicking this link: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;f=inbox;pmsg=45656;quote;u=12345

I have highlighted two parts of this notification message in RED. First it tells you it is a notification, and not to reply to the e-mail. The reply is sent to the sender of the notification (i.e. the admin of the system, i.e. me). When you do that, you should receive a reminder that your response has not reached the intended recipient.

The second bit, in red, is the link you click on to reply to the message on our site. That is how you reply to a Personal Message.

You may ask yourself, why have we made it so convoluted? You perhaps remember a recent discussion on this site, about sharing personal details or addresses. Our system will not share your e-mail address if you do not want it shared. If you feel comfortable, you can decide to exchange e-mail addresses in a personal message. That way it is in your control.

So please refrain from replying to Personal Message notifications. Thank you.

Peter van Es

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Re: Personal Messages
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 23:51:43 »
In this convoluted world of scams, phishing and other sorted issues of intruding into our
lives,  this is a well designed system.  Thank you Peter for explaining again  to the membership

v/r

jb
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Personal Messages
« Reply #2 on: Today at 14:16:22 »
...a large increase in members replying to personal message notification e-mails. When someone sends you a personal message, you will receive an e-mailed notification...

I'm often guilty without thinking about it. You see, the NORMAL response to an email, when you want to reply, is to hit REPLY--not stop what you are doing, open up a website, drill down to the messages, and reply there. I think many are in the same frame of mind on this...It is something I'll have to remember...

The only time I know not to do this is when the return email address is noreply@domain.com or something like that.

Will do my best to remember...and thanks for the reminder.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid