Author Topic: Blown Head Gasket  (Read 3967 times)

n/a

Blown Head Gasket
« on: August 12, 2005, 09:53:16 »
I recently blew a head gasket on my 1969 280 SL 4 speed manual transmission.  The car showed no signs of overheating, all gages where normal.  I have on occasion pushed the RPM's up near 6000 when driving on the freeway and have had the car at 108 mph for short bursts.  Is this more than the engine can handle? I typically drive it at 75-80 on the freeway (normal speeds in CA when the freeways are moving).  I am driving it too hard?  Any advice from the pros on how much the engines can handle?  I do not want to shorten the life of the engine or parts

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Blown Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:21:10 »
Hello,
Most likely the head was loose or the gasket installed incorrectly.

It is best to re-torque the head and adjust the valves at 12,000 mile intervals.

A warped head from previous overheat or corroded head casting from old coolant could be other issues.

Without knowing the full history of the car and reviewing the damage these are only good guesses.

Running a healthy engine hard definately does not blow head gaskets.

After head gasket replacemnt, re-torque the head after first warm-up again at around 500 miles, then continue on to the 12,000 mile intervals. I torque the 280 (M130) engines at 80 ft. lbs. (warm engine). 230SL and 250SL are considerably less. Someone may have used the wrong torque specs.

Factory new head gaskets are improved over originals with sealant strips built in to make them even beter than originals.

Good luck, check back if you have any  difficulties.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 10:21:51 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 11:24:05 »
Your question seems to be of particular interest right now. All older cars with untouched engines can have head gasket failure do to nothing more than age. The heat cycle can and will destroy the gasket over time. The harder you drive the car the greater the chance that something will break and it always happens at high speed for prolonged periods.

The death rattle:
strange sound like pinging at higher engine speed or just normal engine speed that lasts for a few minuets and then seems to go away. You may never hear it again but the engine will use oil and likely smoke after this. At idle or low engine speeds the noise  will be LOUD and you would likely shut it off.
This is a piece of broken piston ring bouncing around in the cumbstion chamber. It will eventually get stuck into the top of the piston or cumbustion chamber. It makes a mess but it usually repairable. The cylinder wall will be heavily scored but it's already worn well past the normal limits anyway.

Head gasket failure:
age, improper installation, over heating, warped block or head will and can cause this. Always check the parting surface of the block. I've pretty much gone to having a very light cut made to true up the surface. This usually only needs to be done once and not every time the head is off. If you want more compression deck the block and NEVER the head.

Regardless of all these things if you run your engine out of coolant it will warp everything. Usually the gasket will blow out. No coolant means you usually won't get any in the engine depending on where the leak started.
 There are two types of gasket failures; wet blow and dry blow. A dry blow failure will just go to the next cylinder as a compression loss. Early engines are more likely to do this.
A wet blow will have coolant leak into the cylinder and into your oil pan. 280SL is more likely to have this hapen due to how close the cylinder are to each other and the milled slot between each cylinder.

A cracked head or a leak into the cooling system will cause a sudden rise or temp spike that won't cool down. The rad may be constantly empty every time you check it, yet there seems to be no leaks.
If you think you have a slow leak you may be able to find it with a leak down test. Always remove the rad cap during this test. You can take a small sample  of oil and have it tested which will tell you if you have anti freeze in your oil - even trace amounts.

How hard can you drive these cars? That depends on how good the engine is. Damage always happens at high RPM's and it's permanent. How deep are your pockets?

These cars DO have limitations just like any other car. Probably higher for they're time period than many others but they will only go so fast, come to a stop only so quickly, corner only so fast be driven only so hard. New parts and rebuilds should bring the car back up to as new standards while modern lubricants will greatly improve componet life.

If you want to take your car outside of the stock configuration realm then you enter a diffent forum. Even a CD radio is considered sinfull by some. Drop a 6.3 into your 280SL and it's a sreet rod - a German street rod.

I believe that the Pagoda Group understands that there are people out there who may wish to do such things but our primary focus and mandate is to preserve the heritage of the 113 SL while understanding that some may want to change or upgrade their cars. This is, of course, up to the owner.

So, I've talked to the board and presented the idea that we have a new discussion area on this site called R&D (research & development ) This will be a sub heading of the main forum to discuss such things as engine modification/ replacement ( 5 liter anyone? ) brake upgrades, possibly springs or suspension or anything that falls well outside of stock repairs or parts.
If this is your calling this will be a great addition for you. If you have little interest in such things you may not go there but all would be welcomed.

This will be run by the administrators ( not me ) should we decide to do this ( it looks like a go though )
Any input on this idea would be welcomed.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

norton

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 15:12:07 »
Hot Dam Doc Thats good news  :D  Hemi's, desiels and 5 speeds for everybody. (everybody that wants one anyhow)

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 16:33:06 »
I'm sure there are others like myself who would like to be part of the field trials for the R&D department.  As long as it's not destructive testing of some sort.  I say that in jest.  I love the idea.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 20:38:42 »
I'm more performance minded using stock parts or vintage parts keeping the appearance stock while improving precision.  Although it looks like there isn't much available, the things that are out there can add a bit. Just getting the engine up to optimum sate of tune can be a real challenge before thinking about anything after that.
This is a fairly complicated engine - it has fuel injection '' feared by all, understood by few '' that should put it squarely into the exotic league.

I took the 6.3 to a local car show tonight. Now this thing really is high performance and high tech for the day. Some guys came over and looked it over and were mighty impressed. It is a really nice car with beautiful paint so it gets a lot of looks. Even guys who aren't into such cars heard it pull in and came over to ask me to lift the hood. They just KNEW it was something special and the looks of approval were quite nice. I had some vintage Camero's on either side of me and they liked it too.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC