Author Topic: Refinishing 230SL, seeking advice on spares  (Read 4478 times)

Chad

Refinishing 230SL, seeking advice on spares
« on: August 13, 2005, 19:50:16 »
Have the 230SL off disassembled now for some repairs and painting, etc.  The engine is coming out, and I'm pretty excited about the progress that hopefully will be made in this shop over the next six weeks. Seeking some advice, particularly on spares:

(1) Want to change to Euro lights.  The ones from Adsit Co. are about $700 for a pair, they are aboout $1200+ everywhere else.  Has anyone experience with the Adsitco, their headlights, etc.?  Would they be a good source for replacement weatherstripping/rubber items?

(2) Any sources for the injection pump pipes/plumbing? Mine are corroded and unsightly.  I see pictures of them with what seems to be a plating, yellow.  What do people do, plate or acquire new?

(3) Do you just paint, polish, or powder coat various engine bay components?

(4) The car runs strongly, while the engine is would it be wise to have the clutch changed out?  Any other things to do with the engine out?

(5) The car is medium bllue with black hartop and wheel centers.  It was originally light beige and black, I believe from the data plate in the engine (181 and 040).  I do like the medium blue and have decided to repaint it in the same colors that it is presently.  Is this wrong? I feel that I would not like light beige.

--CD
230SL
113.042 10 018567

-CD-
1967 230SL
1983 300TDT

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Refinishing 230SL, seeking advice on spares
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 08:50:59 »
Chad,

1) I don't know about Adsit in general.  Most people prefer genuine MB for rubber seals (windows, doors, trunks, etc.), so I assume you might want genuine MB for headlight seals.  I did this for my existing Euro lights with ancient seals and it worked fine.

2) Use the Search tool for "plating".  Other terms: cad, cadium(?), dicrhomate, di-chromate, .....

3) Don't know.  Others will advise.

4) Don't know.  Others will advise.

5) I think it's general consencus that changing the paint color from original does not reduce the market value of the car.  Some people are purists and love originality (me!) and would tell you to make it original, but it really doesn't matter.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

erickmarciano

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Canada, Quebec, montreal
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 10:31:34 »
if I has the engine out I would change
motor , trany , subframe mounts
fan clutch / water pump
belts
timing chain
front seal /back seal but much more work
thermostat
all the coolant hoses

good luck

1971 280sl
1962 VW
1954 Allstate vespa
1958 gs150 vespa
1962 gs160 vespa
1994 E500 W124
1971 280sl
1989 Porsche 930 coupe
1988 e30 m3
2001 ducati mh900
2006 ps1000
1962 Vespa GS160

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 06:31:54 »

(1) Adsitco:  I have no personal experience with them, but for some reason my restorer had LOTS of trouble with them over the years, and wouldn't use them.  Maybe this was a fluke; perhaps others on the list have purchased from them and had good experiences?

(2) injection pump pipes/plumbing: for a load of parts like this to be plated, you are looking at about $200.  Try Burbank Plating (search for the thread on CAD plating) or Prime Plaing, both in California for true cadmium plating.  CAD plating leaves a bright silver finish, and then they typically give a phosphate wash which gives the gold color that we are all familiar with.  If you are hesitant about sending out your parts, as many seem to be, you can find a local zinc plater and get the "ersatz" CAD plating which is a iridite or phosphate wash over zinc.  Hi grade steel nuts and bolts often have this finish.

(3) Do you just paint, polish, or powder coat various engine bay components?  It depends on the part.  The injection lines are CAD plated as we've noted.  Any part that is typically painted can be powder coated in the exact color IF it can handle the oven baking.  I'm a firm believer in powder coating, it lasts a lot longer and provides a harder finish.  Metal polish and buffing go a long way in restoring finishes.  Get yourself an Eastwood catalog.

(4) The car runs strongly, while the engine is would it be wise to have the clutch changed out?  Any other things to do with the engine out? Oh, yeah...if you have the time and money, all wear items and anything rubber should be replaced.  Rebuild the clutch, the tranny, etc.  Remember it is a good 8-12 hours of labor to remove this stuff, so while you have it out and have access is the time to do this work.  Case in point:  Main transmission seal on an automatic is a $5 part.  It will cost $500 to replace it with the labor.  Get it?

(5) The car is medium bllue with black hartop and wheel centers.  It was originally light beige and black, I believe from the data plate in the engine (181 and 040).  I do like the medium blue and have decided to repaint it in the same colors that it is presently.  Is this wrong? I feel that I would not like light beige.  Your choice of course.  Correctness and originality are for resale and concours.  If you don't intend on showing or selling, but rather enjoying you should have what you want.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RBurg

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 07:42:48 »
Chad

Euro lights can be ordered from German Star 800 377 6598. The cost was like $900 and they are orginal Bosch. His prices are right. My wrench man and restor uses him.  I  have two new in package benz weather striping for the top. If interested - let me know

hughet

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 15:33:49 »
It is all right to pay less if you get the same quality. That is the experience I have had with Adsit Co. They are easy to get in touch with and can probably tell you if the euro lights they have are new Bosch lights. If they are, you will probably save money by buying from them.
I just bought 4 Ate rotors and a couple of rear Bilstein shocks from them for my 92 300d and saved over a hundred dollars compared to the best prices from Performance or Fastlane.
Last year I bought a new leather seat cover and armrest from them for my 300SD because their price was $150 less than GAHH. The quality was perfect... and it came from GAHHs address.

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 19:19:12 »
I've used Adsitco for several items.   Most recently new rear calipers and they had the best prices around for the original ATE.   Quickly shipped.  I'd order from them again anytime.

Dana DuBois

1969 280sl auto
blue (906)
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Ed Cave

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 20:01:01 »
Chad:

As you are fairly new to this forum and are about to undergo some pretty significant surgery, you may want to visit http://www.motoringinvestments.com/mbz.htm . Here, at the top of the page you will find links to an eight page restoration log and a lot of photos of the finished product including Euro headlight change and a nicely restored engine bay. Mind you this is a 280SL and some things under the bonnet will differ slightly from your 230.

Regardless, you will probably enjoy and gain something from this documentation. Good luck with your project.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

Chad

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 23:04:19 »
I thank everyone a great deal and I will post replies tomorrow or the next day. Every post is helpful and giving me things to think about.  Just traveling a lot these several days!  Checking out various sites mentioned now.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10
1983 300TDT, WDBAB 93A7DN

Chad

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 19:21:39 »
Small update on my original post.

Just got the European headlights from ADSITCO.  They are BOSCH and are very nice.  I am pleased.  The $625 price was significantly less than others and I was skeptical, but they arrived promptly and are the correct, or seem that way to me.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10
1983 300TDT, 123.193