Author Topic: Changing Interior  (Read 3762 times)

jammer

Changing Interior
« on: August 22, 2005, 18:07:58 »
How difficult, complicated and costly is it to completely change the interior in a 280SL? I am considering a car that has the original interior but I don't particularly like its color in combination with the exterior color.

TIA,

Riadh

n/a

Re: Changing Interior
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 19:06:42 »
If you want a good shop to handle it, it will be approx. $5000 in leather.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 19:09:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by jammer

How difficult, complicated and costly is it to completely change the interior in a 280SL? I am considering a car that has the original interior but I don't particularly like its color in combination with the exterior color.

TIA,

Riadh

Expect to pay somewhere in the $5K range for leather.  Includes covering all the padded dash pieces.  Somewhat of a job to get it all out and back in.  Check with GAHH or the usual gang of interior restoration houses.  Then of course, you may want to consider changing the heater levers, getting the radio rebuilt, maybe rechroming the interior trim, of course, you can't put back that old wood without refinishing....

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

TR

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 19:47:23 »
Or maybe more...

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

jammer

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 00:36:31 »
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like major work. Maybe if I wait long enough that color combo will be in vogue again :) Seems like MB back then afforded their customers a lot of freedom in combining whatever color combo they could dream of.

Regards,

Riadh

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 06:53:54 »
What's your color combo now? Maybe someone out there will swap. Just curious.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

jammer

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 09:28:30 »
Actually I don’t own the car, but I’m considering buying it. The color combination is medium blue exterior on red leather interior.

Regards,

Riadh

tuultyme

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 14:35:41 »
A couple winters ago I redid my own interior; switched from MBtex to leather but staying with the cognac.  I took out all the dash and window pieces and had someone recover them.  The door panel and seat covers come as kits which were fun to replace myself.  I took the seats out and did the work in the family room.  I did replaced the seat pads; there are a couple different types of these.  I recovered the convertible top cover with a portion of the same roll of leather.  I also replace the carpet at the same time and the inner door aluminum pieces.  Even with doing a lot of the work myself I spent a little over $5.5K but now I have an interior I am very proud of.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

norton

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 15:05:12 »
I rode in Bruce's car at the Tech Session, Very nice interior, and it's hard to beat the aroma of leather. :)

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe