Author Topic: storage  (Read 2522 times)

n/a

storage
« on: August 28, 2005, 04:05:36 »
Perhaps a topic that makes you laugh, but it always has been a discussion with my son. Out of the past I was used to store the cars under a mercedes-cover, but only when I knew that I would not use it for several time and only after I did wash and dry it. My son claims it would make "spider-web scratches" when I kept doing so. Also he warned for other people, putting objects on the cover, because "when it would make a scratch, nobody will see it". What is your opinion ?
Leo

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: storage
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 07:30:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by LeikeLb

Perhaps a topic that makes you laugh, but it always has been a discussion with my son. Out of the past I was used to store the cars under a mercedes-cover, but only when I knew that I would not use it for several time and only after I did wash and dry it. My son claims it would make "spider-web scratches" when I kept doing so. Also he warned for other people, putting objects on the cover, because "when it would make a scratch, nobody will see it". What is your opinion ?
Leo

Leo,

Unless you NEVER touch the car's surface--nearly impossible--you will get these "spider web scratches" on your car.  A good wax will cover and fill most of them.  A clean, soft flannel inside to the car cover will not cause any more surface damage then a drive down the motorweg, perhaps less?!

As for "putting objects on the car" that is dependent, of course, on how well trained you have your family!  My car, covered or not, has a force field around it!  My wife and daughter stay away as it sits in the garage and would never dare to place anything on it.  However it should be noted that prior to the restoration, when the car belonged to my uncle, it was in a garage in New York, covered with several bed sheets, and nearly forgotten.  And, yes, it did get used as storage--in the winter, there were food "leftovers" on it, and in the summer all kinds of things.  Sometimes it was hard to know there was a car there!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

Re: storage
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 21:40:24 »
When I purchased my cover I set out to buy the best, softest indoor cover I could find.  I paid just over $300.00 for it.  It's constucted of a heavy cotton material with a flanel backing.  First of all I will only use the cover once the car's been washed.  I never drag it over the car but simply unroll it starting from the front working my way to the rear.  Once I've unrolled it I then start to drape it over the sides and carefully finish by tucking it in under the front and rear.

Removing the cover is just as critical.  Undo the front and rear, pull the sides up onto the top.  I'll start at the front and carefully roll it towards the back onto the trunk. Usually I'll stow it in the trunk in or out of its storage bag.

The most important thing is make sure your car and cover are clean.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.