Author Topic: Keys....  (Read 17865 times)

Eryck

Keys....
« on: September 13, 2005, 08:15:14 »
Hi all,

Long time no talk. All the keys on my car (ignition, doors & boot) are copies. I therefore do not know what the original keys should look like.  Anyone have a picture?

Since all my keys are very worn, I am looking to make new copies. Is there a source that I can get them to look as original as possible?  Thanks once again.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Keys....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 08:41:36 »
Hi Eryck. Here are mine (sorry about lousy camera work)...

Keys Download Attachment: 000_0220.JPG
35.49 KB

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Eryck

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 08:58:04 »
James - thanks for the super quick response.  

Ooops....mine look the same.  They look pretty bad for original keys!  Not even a logo on them and they all look different.  Looks like I will just polish mine up then....thanks again for the help.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 10:11:18 »
Yes mine could use some sprucing up. Since I have two other sets, I keep these in my desk, so never thought much about that.

The large one is Niemann and other two are Ymos. Unfortunately, along the way someone changed my gas cap so I actually have a 4th key for that.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 15:32:39 »
I had four keys too, but I had the trunk lock tumblers re-keyed so that the doors, trunk and glove box all use the same key.  Not original but much more convenient.  My gas cap uses a differnt blank. :(  I got new ignition keys from the MB dealer and they are stainless and have a plastic head like modern keys.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

enochbell

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 18:53:33 »
All of these keys, back to 1964, are still available.  I searched for a long time, and here they are:

http://key-men.com/shopping/show_cat.php?catid=Mercedes

Best,
g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Eryck

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 09:10:31 »
That's a great website. Since I only have one set of keys, I'd better make a copy.  Thanks!

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 10:46:24 »
This is what the original keys should look like. The black plastic top is available from your MB dealer P/N 000 766 44 06 and installs over the metal key blank. The material of the original keys is steel. I got German keys from Broadway Locksmith here in town, but their supply is limited to a few blank numbers. These keys have the plastic top already attached, but on close examination it does not quite match the original MB in shape or texture. The top from MB is the real thing, the key on the left is the one from Broadway Locksmith and it is made from steel (Magnet sticks to it)

'69 280SL,Signal Red,007537,tired engineer, West-Seattle, WA
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 10:51:32 by theengineer »
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 11:50:17 »
Engineer,

You are correct (I assume) for the later cars.  However, Eryck's car is a '65 230SL, for which the keys shown in James' photo are correct.  The one on the left is the ignition key, the middle is for the doors and gas cap, and the one on the right is for the trunk (boot) and glove box.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

n/a

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 15:16:35 »
Eryck

I got a new set of keys from the local Mercedes dealer.  They only asked for the vin number and $100.  It was not cheap but it is better than searching all over the country for someone to duplicate the old keys.  The ignition key was a Borkey instead of the original Nieman and both of the other keys were yomos as were the original.  However, both the door key and the trunk key had the rectangular shaped head like the door key.  

Good luck in your search.

Iverson

KevinC

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 19:35:34 »
I thought I would be the volunteer guinea pig (I hope PeTa isnt monitoring). The keys I received with my 230 SL last year were all cut on the wrong blanks, that is to say they were different from my my owner's manual showed as "correct". I ordered one new set from my MB dealer ($40.00/each) and one set from Key-Men ($6.00/each-pictured). On the Key Men set (arrived in 4 days), the ignition key was silver in color and the door/gas and glovebox/trunk were brass. On the MB set (arrived in two weeks) all were silver in color but the ignition key was shaped somewhat differently than the owner's manual showed. The KM ignition key was dead on. The MB ignition key was stamped "made in Germany" and the two others "Ymos". All the KM keys stated "Taylor". For the difference of $80.00, I would recommend Key-Men.

Download Attachment: MB Keys - Key-Men.JPG
60.89 KB

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 19:53:30 »
Thanks Kevin. My "daily set" and a third set I have are Taylor (I keep my originals in a drawer). A local locksmith in Santa Barbara made them for next to nothing (or about what any old car key would cost)...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Eryck

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 21:13:39 »
Thank you all.  I will go for Key Men since I am looking to make a spare set.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

graphic66

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 07:53:26 »
I needed keys for my 66' 230SL with a 67 250SL ignition key setup. I went to the Key Men site and visually matched it to the Key Men part# MB16R. They didn't list it as fitting a 250SL, it was shown to fit  Mercedes S. SL Class Ignition/Valet 1969-79. My locksmith cut them and they worked perfectly. They cost only $5.00 each and are made of plated brass. Thought this info may be useful.

KSalzer

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 01:10:40 »
Key Men's website is a great find.

Two questions:

Kevin C (the "guinea pig"): did you happen to note Key Men's part numbers for all three keys? Since we know yours work, it'd be nice to have those numbers.

Also, my glove box key was lost. Is there a way to determine the correct code for MB locks, without duplicating an existing (or in my case nonexistent) key?

Thanks for your thoughts.

harleydan

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 06:50:47 »
When I was in Germany, I went to a MB dealer and got a MB locking gas cap with the MB star stamped on it that was keyed to my ignition, door, and glove box key.  Now one key opens everything.  Maybe a MB dealer in the States can do the same thing.

A Dalton

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 09:06:53 »
Harley Dan
 What chassis is your 113 ?
Tnx

harleydan

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 09:40:08 »
A Dalton, my W113 is a 1970 280SL vintage, Euro spec, silver with a 4 speed.

A Dalton

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 10:46:20 »
HD,
 Tnx
 You already have the single key system.
 We Early 113 guys need the set of 3.. which I don't care for , but put up with...

KevinC

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 12:37:59 »
I am sorry but I did not keep a record of their part numbers. I gave them my key numbers off my data card and they sent me the appropriate blanks.

You might also be able to email them a photo of what you need and they can try and match from there. There's a pic of my blanks prior to cutting in this thread.

Hope it helps!

quote:
Originally posted by KSalzer

Key Men's website is a great find.

Two questions:

Kevin C (the "guinea pig"): did you happen to note Key Men's part numbers for all three keys? Since we know yours work, it'd be nice to have those numbers.

Also, my glove box key was lost. Is there a way to determine the correct code for MB locks, without duplicating an existing (or in my case nonexistent) key?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

pferg

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 15:00:19 »
I'm having some what of a slightly differant problem but related to keys.  I have to move my key around to the right spot before the old girl will start (1966 320SL). This suggest to me that the tumbles are bad. Can I get a locksmith to replace the tumbles or do I have to replace the entire unit?  I was told by a local MB dealer that this part was no longer in stock.

Hope someone can help!

enochbell

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 16:57:23 »
I assume you mean that you are having trouble getting the key to turn (as opposed to getting the car to start) and would suggest that before you go about replacing the ignition that you get a new key cut.  Making a copy of the old one won't do it, but if your key is original there is a code from which a new blank can be cut.  It is often the case that the key wears down before the tunbler.

Good luck,
g

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 12:54:08 »
My keys are made by YAMOS and are orginal. but talking about door lock handles can you recode a new door hand and lock to the old key?
I left an e-mail for the lock men web site to see if they have any extra factory keys for my year SL.

Thank You & Happy & Healthy holiday & new year. Peace !

Bob Geco

enochbell

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 14:33:24 »
Bob,

Yes, it is fairly simple to set the tumbler to the key.  Each pin in the tumbler is a specific height (I believe they are numbered 1,2,and 3) and all you need to do is arrange the pins to correspond with the height required of the key.  Sounds more complicated (or, at least, I make it sound complicated)than it is but it really is easy once you get the tumbler apart.

Merry Christmas.

g

George Des

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 13:51:34 »
Understand this an an old topic, but can anyone explain how the lock pins are actually removed from the tumbler barrels. I've pulled the gas cap, trunk and glove box tumbler barrels out but can't quite figure out how the pins are removed to re-arrange them. Can press them in and out and they appear to have a spring under them but not clear how they are pulled out.
The trunk barrel is especially interesting in that I can not even figure out how the pins get exposed.
George