Author Topic: Tips on Securing Soft Top?  (Read 7329 times)

KevinC

Tips on Securing Soft Top?
« on: October 17, 2005, 17:34:38 »
Its just now getting to be soft top weather here and I am wanting to use mine more regularly. Does anyone have any tips on securing the rear pin in the lock (on the rear body panel adjacent to the deck lid)? I have tried to secure it several times but succeeded only once.
Is it all in the wrist?  ;)

-Kevin

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Ed Cave

Re: Tips on Securing Soft Top?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 18:04:40 »
It takes a real solid push with the bottom of your hand, you certainly can't be timid when attempting this connection.

Another interesting option is to don your best pair of thick white socks, hang from a rafter near the center of your garage,(or a well positioned tree branch near the driveway) have your wife back the car in until you scream "STOP" then, using your heel, give it a careful but solid stomp. [:0][:0][:0]

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 18:06:14 by Ed Cave »

George Davis

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 18:44:27 »
One unfortunate fellow I know has to slam the holy h*ll out of it to get to latch.  He hasn't tried hanging from a rafter yet, but he'd probably hurt himself trying that.

I saw a video on TV that showed a period clip of a Mercedes guy demonstrating the soft top raising and lowering, and he slammed it down, too, and not at all gently.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 18:45:18 »
Hi Kevin,

I had my canvas replaced this spring.  While waiting for the canvas to arrive, I removed the old canvas, cleaned and adjusted the frame.  With the canvas removed, what I found to ensure that the pin went in without much effort was to loosen 4 bolts (2 on each side) on the lower bow of the frame.  The lower bow actually slides on the arms on each side and allows for adjustment.  Look closely at your lower frame bow and you can see where the bow meets these arms.  Refer to attached picture.  I circled this area in red.  Obviously the front frame (pins) needs to be locked in place and the main frame bolts adjusted and tightened.

The only potential problem with adjusting this bow, with the canvas on, is that it could make the canvas look loose on the lower frame.  Or if your pin needs to move out to meet the hole, you may not have enough slack in your canvas to adjust the bow.

When I put my top up, I only need to push slightly on the rear bow to have the pin lock in place...  not much force at all.

Good luck and let us know if you had success adjusting.
Bob

Download Attachment: topframe.jpg
61.12 KB

Download Attachment: softtop.jpg
46.22 KB

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

George Des

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 19:59:44 »
I had this same problem with mine. What I do now is to make sure that the top cover release handle is fully returned to the locked position--I found mine does not retract fully when it is released-- and then I push the back of the top down so the pin catches before I lock in the two pins over the windshield. It usually takes a little doing to stretch the top enough to locate the two front pins but I find this works for me better than slamming the back down.

George Des

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 20:17:44 »
I do it essentially the same way George does.  First I position the two windshield pins and turn the levers just enough to hold the front bow loosely in  place, then push the back of the top down until it latches, then tighten the front levers.

Chris Earnest

Ben

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 01:54:43 »
I think we discussed before that the owners manuals differ from 230SL to 280SL.Anyway mine states to close the rear pin first , then the front two !

I basically lift the lot out of the well, close the lid, align the front two latches and drop the rear bow down. It locks first time !

I assume you have adjusted the locking plate which is actually IN the well ?

BTW you must ensure that you have aligned the front pins, at least ensure you have straightened out the top otherwise you can damage the soft top lid at each side ! A lot of 113 have been damaged this way !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 05:42:11 »
Thanks for all the advice. I think I know what this Saturday's project will be. I have had previous thoughts of an activity involving hanging upside down from the rafters til my wife screamed "stop" but the car or thick white socks were not involved.  :twisted: .

Thanks Again!

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 16:49:43 »
Cees Klumper actually pointed out a very simple way of doing this to me:

• first connect the front pins to the windshield frame
  • then, with the rear bow up, flick it down with your hand
  • gravity will help slap it down, locking the pin into the recess
  • not only does it work every time for me
  • but it actually looks pretty cool too!
Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Ben

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 02:23:26 »
Yes Oeter that trick works very neatly but as I mentioned earlier a 230 is different to a 280 according to the manual !

It could be of no consequence but in case damage could result, specifically in the area I mentioned earlier I would advise caution !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.