Author Topic: chrome trim installation  (Read 2363 times)

bjudd

chrome trim installation
« on: October 21, 2005, 21:26:53 »
I am replacing the shortest - lower (behind drivers door) piece of chrome trim (no rubber).   How does one install the piece?  Do the two plastic pieces go into the trim and then press into the body or reverse?  If they go onto the body, how does one slip the chrome onto the plastic?

thanks,

bjudd
1969 280 SL 5 sp

Eryck

Re: chrome trim installation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 21:33:53 »
Hi Bjudd,

I reinstalled all my trims recently. I first put in all the plastic and metal fasteners on to the car and then pushed the aluminum trims in. Be careful not to push in the middle. I've heard that some people have dented theirs by doing so.

I put either the top or bottom edge in first (take a look at the plastic fastener and the trim - you sort of put the piece into the groove first) and then push "up" (or "down" depending on which end you put in first) and inwards and all the trims just clicked in place.

This is not very clear but it's kinda hard to describe. Maybe other people may be better writers....good luck.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

bjudd

Re: chrome trim installation
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 21:56:23 »
Eryck,

Your technique worked perfectly.  I think that the new plastic snaps were essential as the old one that was remaining had no flex or give in it.  

thanks again,

bjudd
1969 280 SL 5 sp