Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 3375 times)

harleydan

Suspension
« on: November 11, 2005, 21:39:24 »
My 1970 280SL (European model with a manual 4 speed) runs great but the suspension needs improvement.  Upon accelleration the front end of the cars lifts up.  On curves the car leans too much in the wrong direction which lessens control of the automobile.  The car feels like a boat.   I want to stiffen up the suspension for a more sportier and controllable ride, but not too much as too feel all the bumps.  What do you recommend?  New shocks (Bilstein or Koni or whatever)?   New springs possibly (what kind and size)?  Or any other suggestions.

Douglas

Re: Suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 21:55:13 »
Start with the basics -- shocks, engine mounts, steering shock, front subframe mounts, tie rods, center drag link......

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 22:22:21 »
Hello,

Good advice Doug, especially the shocks. Also check the front sway bar connecting links and rubber bushings.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

blairwag

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 23:09:35 »
I agree with Doug and Joe. Bilstein or nothing on my car - they're worth the bucks and more closely resenble OEM shocks. If you have a lot of body roll, though, you're most likely looking at bushing problems. The Shocks won't really impact that too much. If the car steers straight, and doesn't tear up the tires, it'll be bushings. If the bushings all look pretty tight, poor front end alignment can also cause just instability problems. Shoot at that next.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 06:59:35 »
harleydan ..... To tighten up the car, do the basics first.  My recommendation is the Koni Classic adjustable shocks.  You can adjust the damping to the feel that you prefer.  Next, replace the sway bar bushings with a harder bushing.  The outside sway bar link bushings are available at most auto parts stores, the universal sway bar bushing from Energy Suspensions for your sway bar diameter will work for the frame mounts.  This tighten the cornering feel and reduce corner lean somewhat.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 14:23:48 »
My experience with koni shocks has always been that they tighten up the suspension giving  up a poor ride in place of handling. This is good if you are racing on the track but unhealthy for the drivers back and dairer when trying to enjoy a Sunday afternoon outing with his wife.
I have Koni red shocks on my 1987 Mustang, it took a year to break them in and I have not touched the adjustment for the front shock or the rear.
I wonder how Takio shocks would work? Ford approved them for the Corba Mustangs and the GT. You can also adjust the shocks much easyier then the konies and I think they would offer the same performance and a better ride.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 14:24:47 by Bob G »