Author Topic: dash wood  (Read 3311 times)

sebring64

dash wood
« on: November 19, 2005, 17:45:36 »
could any one pleeese tell me how to remove the wood trim behind the speedo/tach. I was able to remove the right hand piece without any problem, and have removed the right hand plastic nut on the left hand piece, but cannot figure out how to get to whatever is still holding the trim in. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

jeffc280sl

Re: dash wood
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 18:20:03 »
This is a very tough job!  Good luck.

There are three blue nuts on the drivers side wood.  One is under the speaker.  It appears you found that one.  The other two are under the curved section of the wood.  To access them you must remove the tachometer and I think the speedometer. It's been a while since doing this job.  I recommend that you remove the drivers seat.  There are only 4 bolts so it's easy and worth the effort because you need to to lay on your back with your head under the dash board as you move forward with this job.  

Next remove the under dash panel left of the steering column.  
There is a large connector block which can be detached and moved aside to allow access to the back of the tach.  Now find the round thumbscrew that holds the tach to the dash. Unscrew it. Remove the tach cable from the tach. Remove the wires which include light bulbs for illumination of the tach.

You don't need to remove the center gauge.  There is a thin  pipe attached to the back. This pipe carries oil from the engine to the gauge to provide oil pressure readings. It's a pain to remove and subject to leaks later if you don't get it back together correctly. You may look at the effort to do this and consider removing it to clean the glass under the chrome bezel.  It looks great when clean.

Do your best to work around the center gauge to remove the speedometer. Like the tach it has a thumbscrew, cable, and electrical wire.

Now you should have access to all the blue plastic nuts holding the left trim piece. Remove them and carefully lift out the wood.  Someone suggested that you cut up an old plastic gallon milk container and lay the plastic down over the dash cover when removing and re-installing the wood.  This helps preserve the dash cover and prevent gouging by the wood bolts as you slide the wood in and out.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

sebring64

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 06:55:23 »
Thanks Jeff, sounds like it's a real pain, I wonder if it's not easier to refinish the wood where it is?
Brian

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 07:11:34 »
I don't think so Brian.  It's a lot of work but you don't do this job very often.  Other dash board related jobs to consider.

1) Clean and/or recondition speedo, center gauge, tach and clock
2) Replace heater/air levers
3) Replace all instrument light bulbs
4) Clean behind/under dash area
5) Recover dash
6) Install head light flasher
7) Remove and clean blower motor
8) Remove and clean heater core
9) Clean cowl drain tubes
10) Inspect and lubricate wiper spindles

I may have missed some.  Maybe others can add to this list.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

sebring64

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:57:36 »
Jeff, thats great advice & I think i'll take it, thanks a lot.
But, install headlight flashers! could you elaborate?

Brian
1971 280sl 4 speed
1971 280sl auto

jeffc280sl

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 19:11:38 »
Hey Brian,

There are 2 versions of the  headlight flash function.  

Version 1 is simple.  When these cars were imported US regs would not allow the headlight flash function.  To comply Mercedes did not install a wire from the turn signal stalk connector to activate the switch.  The switch is in the stalk but not wired.  Do a search and you will find specifics on how to install the wire.  If you have questions let me know.  This item is added to the remove wood composite list because you need access to the connector and fuse box which are under the dash just below the tach.

Version 2 is almost as straight forward.  You can search for flash, high beam, low beam for this one.  This mod involves adding a VW/Audi relay to the headlight circuit which will add the flash function and perform hi - low beam switching from the turn signal stalk which bypasses the foot switch.  I have a 4 speed and this function makes driving at night easier having three pedals and only two feet.  The mod works great and the relay can be easily hidden.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed