Author Topic: Trouble Buying Parts  (Read 9814 times)

dschuett

Trouble Buying Parts
« on: November 23, 2005, 13:38:24 »
After being down with a blown head gasket for over four months, I dedided to buy a couple thousand dollars worth of parts for my 1971 280SL.

On November 3, and again on November 22, 2005, I emailed a request to Bud's Benz.  On November 3, 2005 I emailed a request to JCM Parts, and on November 18, 2005, I phoned in a list of parts to Star Quality Parts in Maryland.

To date, not a single reply.  Are these guys still in business?  Is this typical behavior?  In this day and age of instant communications, I am used to more responsiveness.

Any suggestions for alternative vendors?

Thanks.

Dale Schuett
carguy5105@aol.com
925-518-8066 Cellular
1971 280SL, Dunklerot

Dale Schuett
1971 280SL Dunklerot/Black
carguy5105@aol.com

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Trouble Buying Parts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 13:44:36 »
Hello Dale,
All of the places you listed are still there.  Just a matter of how you contacted them, maybe an email got lost or a fax was inadverdently tossed in the trash.  Keep in mind they are just like us in recieving spam, solicitation offers and offers for whatever and sometimes the good things like orders get mixed up and lost in the shuffle.
The best bet is to send an email or fax and follow up with a call via phone on the 800 lines.   Aks them if they received a fax or email from you, if not then repeat your order there and then.
I have had good luck with Ray Paul at Buds Benz for orders and follow ups.
You can also contact Joe Trevino at Caliber Motors, who is the best man they have in the parts dept, or you can wait for Tom Hanson at the new MB classic center to help out.  Guys and Gals please chime in here.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL diesel
1963 230SL gas-nearly stripped

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 13:49:24 »
Hey Dale. I cannot speak for JCM -- or even Star Quality since it changed hands, but generally speaking Bud's and others will get back to you before long. However, it may behove you to call versus email, especially as a new customer. These folks (Ray Paul for example) are extremely knowledgable and will talk you through precisely what parts you need. Other vendors you might try are K&K (or use Dan C. our resident Benz Dr.) or Miller's. Same goes for all of them -- they are good but busy -- I'd use the land line.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

peterm

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 13:50:56 »
still waiting for firwall pad from ray,  he's at the point of ignoring calls and emails now. Its on he boat was the last i heard.  I have half a pad installed the original set i received this time last year was the wrong fitment, drivers side pad wouldn't work holes all in the wrong places.  arrgh

dschuett

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 13:51:15 »
Walter, do you have contact data for Caliber Motors?  this is a new one to me.

Thanks.

Dale Schuett
carguy5105@aol.com

norton

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 15:41:57 »
I've never had any luck emailing orders to any of these suppliers, including Caliber, unless you call them first. They'll take the order over the phone if it's small (under 10or15 part numbers) on large orders they may give you another  email address to use, that the sales people will check.  Be sure to ask for a club discount too.

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

enochbell

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 15:55:30 »
IMHO, a good parts supplier is as valuable as a good mechanic, sometimes more so.  The list of suppliers you have on your email list are all good, I would also add Gernold at SLtech, there are many more.  The key is to actually develop a relationship with them, they can help you figure out exactly what you need and what you don't need.  Dave at Bud's has helped me save money (and spend it!) on many occaisions and he almost always considers something I had not.

If these suppliers get the sense that you are just price shopping, looking for commodities, then you will also get treated like a commodity.  Not saying it is right, just is in this market.  These guys have as much passion for the sl as most of us, and they really have a wealth of knowledge.  I suggest you pick up the phone and get to know one or two that you can help keep you heading down the road.

Best of luck,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 22:08:30 »
Dont forget our own Benz Dr.  I have done business with him very satisfactorily via e-mail. And, Kevin at Miller's East is great, too.

Oddly enough, I recently heard from another vendor with whom I had been upset.  It appears we have reached a settlement, and if it comes to pass, you'll all get to see me publicly eating crow.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 18:01:52 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

hauser

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 23:33:47 »
Try Ray Paul at 1-800-293-2358.  I'm sure he can help you out.  I personally haven't had any problems ordering parts (small orders).  I don't if I could make the same statement if I were to place a large order.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Chad

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 23:44:54 »
When it comes time for overhauling engine and the rest, I will probably call Dan C. myself.

-CD-
1967 230SL, 113.042 10

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 03:04:05 »
Being based in Ireland means I do most of my buying in Europe, however I have purchased some small items from Dan Caron as he has given us all so much help and advice over the years.

If I was in the US he would be top of my list. My orders certainly wont keep bread on his table but yours will certainly help !

Just my €0.02 ! 8)

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

KevinC

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 19:48:25 »
I just placed my third order with SLS on Germany for parts. On each order I have done previously, I emailed THEIR part number and description plus copied and pasted a photo of the item off their web site. Within 48 hours, I received a quotation, I then respond with my credit card info, get an emailed confirmtation number and the parts in 3 to 4 weeks.

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 01:19:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by dschuett

Walter, do you have contact data for Caliber Motors?  this is a new one to me.
It's an MB Dealership with a great reputation for supplying the right parts for our "older" cars.
http://www.calibermotors.com/index2.htm

Also, check our own Parts & Service Suppliers database here:
http://www.sl113.org/data

quote:
Originally posted by enochbell

I suggest you pick up the phone and get to know one or two that can help keep you heading down the road.
Great advice!

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 01:22:58 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 06:43:46 »
One point to remember...

Some companies' have email sorting software that filters out emails from places like Yahoo or hotmail.

I bought parts from Tom Hanson when he was at Caliber Motors and often I had to fax the parts request then fax the Credit card details separately.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

jeffc280sl

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 08:11:46 »
I ordered some parts from K&K on Monday using their online system.  They arrived via UPS neatly packaged on Wednesday.  Can't complain about that service.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 11:38:30 »
Some of you may know that I'm one of K&K's 5 or 6  dealers world wide. While I use them for some things I also have several other places I use as well. International exchange rates place an extra time burden on me as I often shop in two different counties with different curency. All this takes time and is why a huge list of parts that someone might ask about gets slow response.
A while back I had someone send a big list of things to me. There were some rare, odd ball parts on this list so I started looking for them. Soon I ran across others looking for the exact same parts. In the end almost every place I talked to was looking for the same part - a few even called me looking for these pices.

SOOOOOOOO........ call first. Talk to the people you want to do biz with and let them get a sense of what you need. Anyone who calls me usually goes away with more info than they need and some of my time. Most people don't ask for everything they need ( because they aren't aware of how the repair needs to be done ) and a faxed order usually doesn't have all the info I need.

Remember, parts places might know parts but they won't know repairs or how to fix things - that's not their thing. They probably won't be too interested in the color of your car either ~)

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Chad

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 12:29:48 »
Dr. Benz is a fountain of information. Ordering from him over phone is like taking a class (free of charge), ordering from him is much more than ordering from a distributor. When it comes time for this engine I know where I will go. Why not order from a nice guy we know who has and shares a wealth of information and is a fellow forum member.

GAHH and Millers Benz have been very helpful to me regarding the cosmetic bits (big and small) and they remember your order, call you about things and work with you well, as far as parts distributors go.

Chad

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 12:35:49 »
When I say ordering from him is much more than ordering from a distributor what I mean is that he gives you so much information and advice.

dschuett

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2005, 02:13:23 »
Thank you for all the input.  I was able to buy everything I needed from SL Tech in Maine.  He even left me a voicemail confirming the order and clarifying some of the details.  Part of the order has already arrived.

I never heard from Star, Caliber, Bud's Benz (tried twice), and others.  I did receive responses from Miller's and KK Mfg.

I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to post my car's description on this forum, will try to be more careful in the future.

Now if I could just get my wife to be more understanding about needing parts for "the old car we never drive".

Dale Schuett

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2005, 02:41:08 »
Dale,

quote:
I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to post my car's description on this forum, will try to be more careful in the future.

Please explain

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 03:10:22 »
Ray,

quote:
Oddly enough, I recently heard from another vendor with whom I had been upset. It appears we have reached a settlement, and if it comes to pass, you'll all get to see me publicly eating crow.

Maybe the 'publicity' here got you a result???

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

pferg

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 10:17:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by dschuett

After being down with a blown head gasket for over four months, I dedided to buy a couple thousand dollars worth of parts for my 1971 280SL.

On November 3, and again on November 22, 2005, I emailed a request to Bud's Benz.  On November 3, 2005 I emailed a request to JCM Parts, and on November 18, 2005, I phoned in a list of parts to Star Quality Parts in Maryland.

To date, not a single reply.  Are these guys still in business?  Is this typical behavior?  In this day and age of instant communications, I am used to more responsiveness.

Any suggestions for alternative vendors?

Thanks.

Dale Schuett
carguy5105@aol.com
925-518-8066 Cellular
1971 280SL, Dunklerot

Dale Schuett
carguy5105@aol.com

jeffc280sl

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 10:44:03 »
I've ordered parts from www.sasponline.com with good results.  They have a Elring head gasket set in stock for $76.14 and another for $87.46.  Not the kind of place you ask questions though.  Just buy the parts online and take delivery.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed