Author Topic: Windshield washer pump  (Read 9970 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Windshield washer pump
« on: November 29, 2005, 19:19:40 »
My washer worked perfectly before I removed it for the paint job.  Now, after re-installing it, it won't pump.  It makes a quiet "thunk" when the switch is activated, but doesn't move water.  

Is there a common problem/trick with these?  Can the pump be disassembled and repaired successfully?

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Windshield washer pump
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 19:40:26 »
I had success in getting mine to work by taking it slightly apart and cleaning out some muck. Here's a vague recollection: First remove the unit from the sidewall. Then, there are four very small screws that come out -- and separate the unit a bit. I then flushed everything out with crud cutter and warm water. I also made sure all the lines were clear and hooked up right. Finally made sure nozzles were clear. As I have said before, I may have too thorough -- the thing shoots washerfluid like a Rainbird!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

A Dalton

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 21:31:45 »
The impeller is prob stuck.
 Simple fix.

Also , there is a little drive spring on the shaft that breaks.. you can make a new one from  feeler gauge stock .. SS .. just grind it to the original size and insert it in the shaft slot. It will last forever..

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 03:53:13 »
I may have to tackle the waher pump this winter. I have a great fear when taking things apart, the fear is that I won't be able to get them back together.

Does anyone have a photo of a washer pump and parts disassembled so I can see what is going to come flying out?

Thanks,

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:36:53 »
Richard,

You don't need a diagram or pic - it's intuative. The motor is a sealed unit; all you can pull apart is the bit that moves the water around.

Ray,

It probably isn't this, but when I replaced mine I found that I needed to prime the pump first. Although if yours is only going 'clunk' priming the pump won't solve the problem.

With hindisght I recommend that you put good gin or vodka into your washer bottle if thinking of priming the pump by sucking fluid into your mouth. I found washer fluid leaves a nasty after taste and makes your tongue blue. That said, I suppose you chaps over the Pond could use that whisky-like substance you call 'Bourbon' which I think is about as close as you can get to washer fluid without actually being bright blue.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 18:09:48 »
Hello,

I can only imagine how pricey these are they days. Yes, these are quite often repairable. A lot of times just taking them apart and cleaning them will do the trick. This syle pump is unique to the W113 during those years, however the same pump was used in later years on several common models. If you find a W107 (350, 450, 500, 560 SL or SLC) the pump will be the same. In addition the W116 sedans in later years also used this pump. Happy picking!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 18:10:41 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

al_lieffring

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 14:26:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

I have a great fear when taking things apart, the fear is that I won't be able to get them back together.

Richard M, NYC

Richard

I don't see what you are worried about. Like, it's already broken dude. You can only come out ahead when you do get it back together and working again.

Good Luck
Al

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 14:14:32 »
Just to resurrect this thread

My pump has been intermittently blowing foam at me and I decided to investigate further

It came apart easy  enough and the impellers turn easily enough and the motor runs. I have then tried a number of things to get the pump to work.... The outlet pipe is clear - I can certainly blow through it and have sucked it dry twice....

I ran the pump while it was sitting in water and it wouldn't pump, I also ran it with the washer bag well above the pump for some syphon effect. It ran for a bit and as I was getting water through the jets, the tone of the pump changed (got higher pitched) and the water stopped. Thereafter, whenever I turned the pump off, water went back up the pipe and out of the overflow on top of the bag. Now it won't even pump foam

I have a feeling I need a new pump as it may be fine spinning with no resistance (air) but gives up the ghost with a bit of resistance (water) but I want to be sure I've tried everything first....  is there a trick to priming it or should it self prime? The ale at the top of the water bag I assume it there to let some air in (overflow out) but am wondering too if there's something wrong there??

On a related note, has anyone ever come across an aftermarket washer jet heater?

Thanks and happy new year
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 22:51:03 »
James, It sounds as if your pump is in much worse shape than mine.  From your description it does sound like it's spinning.  If the impeller is loose on the shaft, perhaps a disassembly would give you an idea how to fix it.  As someone suggested, if it's dead anyway, what's the harm in taking it apart?   

Mine turned out to be an easy task.  I did try forcing air through it, but I filled the pump with the super pure Ethnol we used to clean tape machine heads and let it soak a short while.  I also polished up the contacts on the plug and when I plugged it in, it ran perfectly.  I don't know if I fixed it or it just felt the love and attention and started working again.

And Jamie, tonight I'll have a glass of some of the finest Kentucky Bourbon and toast to Holly's health.  Perhaps some day you'll develop a taste for a spirit that doesn't taste like a peat bog.  ;D
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:57 »
Thanks Ray

Impellers both very loose on the shafts so I think I'd best be in touch with one of our suppliers...

James
James L

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 09:54:27 »
James, I think I may have ONE NOS left but won't be back until 9th Jan.

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 10:30:14 »
Thanks Colin - MORE vacation?! ;) I can wait through the 9th - if you'd let me know, I'd be grateful  as SLS have them  - in reply to Joe Alexander's old post above, about €83 inc shipping

It occurred to me that the best test for the pump would be to submerse it and run it with no pipes on it.  It ran, creating a nice fountain effect for about three seconds and again, the tone of the motor changed and the flow stopped. This suggests to me that either the impellers only work so far before getting out of kilter and stopping pumping or the motor gives up the ghost after a few seconds....
James L

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 15:57:20 »
You can always call the office and speak to Bryan if you get desperate. Kes knows where the washer pumps are kept.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 16:49:46 »
James,
If you go to the spares section on EBAY.DE  you will find  VDO Washer Pump   12v 246-075-017-002c
Mercedes Benz for Eur24.64 incl: vat,(the MB part #s are also listed) from the picture it looks the correct part and new.
Eric

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 18:41:20 »
Thanks Eric

It certainly looks the part although the finder at the bottom of the page suggests otherwise...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VDO-WASCHWASSERPUMPE-12V-246-075-017-002C-MERCEDES-BENZ-/400256347423?pt=DE_Autoteile&fits=Make%3AMercedes-Benz&hash=item5d31232d1f
James L

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 11:10:53 »
James,
The MB part # is 108 869 01 21 and this # is listed on there spec: sheet, at this price if the shipping is reasonable i would get one.
Eric

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 10:22:06 »
Eric

It works !

Quick delivery fromt he ebay seller and it took all of 5 minutes to swap out the old pump and fit the new, top up the bag and I am off and running.

Thanks for the tip!

James L