Author Topic: Euro Bulbs  (Read 3993 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Euro Bulbs
« on: January 17, 2006, 17:02:22 »
Hey. I was just going thru my spare parts -- planning to order some various maintenance parts. I found a set of what appear to be headlamp bulbs. They are "Narva 12V 60/55  PT45+ -41". Do these sound like the correct bulbs for my Euro Headlamps? They have a pluggy thing on the back.

Also, I have what appear to be brakelight bulbs. A few are 18W but one is 21W. Would that one work in a pinch?

Finally, I was just noticing how my driver's side hardtop rubber is looking kind of shiny and cracking. And wouldn't ya know it, in my box of spare parts is a rubber door piece. This is the two section piece that runs along top and rear of window. Here's the question: are the soft-top and hard-top pieces the same? I can't find part number on it but it is in a MBZ bag and has the cloth edge.  

Many thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
Re: Euro Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 18:12:34 »
Hi, James,

Those Narva bulbs are the H4 "upgrade" for the original bulbs in the Euro headlights.  Arthur Dalton recommended upgrading to them, and they are a big improvement over stock!

It seems that the things to be careful of in using bulbs that are larger than "spec" are the current across the wiring and the heat from the bulb near the plastic lenses.  However, there seems to be considerable leeway in our lights before we need to be concerned.

Before I made my trip to Blacklick last summer, I contacted Daniel Stern lighting, and upgraded all of my bulbs to the best we thought were usable.  So, I am running 6 watt bulbs (3886x xenon) for the small bulbs in the taillights (which are spec'd for 4 or 5w), and I am running 27w (!) bulbs (P3497) for brakes, turn signals, and reverse lights.  So, using your 21w should be no problem at all.

BTW, though a little expensive as bulbs go, these are upgrades I would recommend to anyone who's concerned about their comparatively (by today's standards) dim rear lights (at least on a 230SL setup).

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 19:58:09 »
Thanks David. Good to know they are the ones. And, good idea about illuminating our rear tail lights... In my case, night drives are a rarity and I'm in the sticks, so I'm hoping mine should be ok.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Ben

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:12:15 »
Guys check out the following site for LED bulbs, this guy makes them himself !

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm

I havent tried any yet but I might do !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

A Dalton

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 07:51:04 »
Wonder if those LED BA9s will fit the speedo/tach ?????

RBurg

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 08:45:03 »
I have tried the leds bulb on my 280sl-regular bulb on one side - led on the other side - no noticable differance. I feel the problem with less light output is the tail light lens. When you remove the lens and use just the led buld, it is brighter.

Ron - Minnesota
71 280SL Tobacco "O GIGI"
97 E420 Silver Mist

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 18:50:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAPease
...  Before I made my trip to Blacklick last summer, I contacted Daniel Stern lighting, and upgraded all of my bulbs to the best we thought were usable.  So, I am running 6 watt bulbs (3886x xenon) for the small bulbs in the taillights (which are spec'd for 4 or 5w), and I am running 27w (!) bulbs (P3497) for brakes, turn signals, and reverse lights.  .....

David,
have you noticed any softening/shape change (or worse melting) of the plastic lens or reflector since you installed the higher wattage lamps? I am wondering especially about the 6W Xenon bulbs in the tail lights.

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:27:19 »
Alfred,

No, I haven't (and I live in the mountains, so I drive with my lights on almost all of the time).  I considered this potential problem before the upgrade, and have been careful to check on the state of the taillights since.  No problems yet (after more than 10,000 miles).

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)