Author Topic: Dubai Chapter get together  (Read 5726 times)

andre_morcos

Dubai Chapter get together
« on: January 20, 2006, 05:50:22 »
Hi guys,
I would just like to inform you that we are going to have our first official get together in Dubai. The members are going to be Mo, Abbas, Nirmal and myself. We are going to try and start the Dubai Chapter, discuss common problems and try and locate Sl owners in the UAE and introduce them to the Pagoda Sl Group.
I honestly feel like there are a lot of Sl owners that have neglected or do not know the value of their cars.
After a bit of research, I was told that there are 26 Sls in the country, most of them are just forgotten and dumped in garages and car parks.
We'll keep you posted.
By the way, I'm starting to write my own book regarding restoration. It will be about my own professional experience in restoration. Mostly it will cover Mercedes, and a big chunk will be of 113.I am doing this because I noticed that there aren't any good restoration books put together by professional restorators.
Wish me luck!
I just found a very good book. Mercedes by Konemann. It's a 2 volume encyclopedia, which I think is a must to all the MB enthusiats. It has the history and story of each and every model.

Regards to all.

Andre Morcos (UAE)
1964 230 Sl
1960 220 Seb
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 05:54:06 by andre_morcos »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Dubai Chapter get together
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 16:39:52 »
Good luck Andre - great going. 26 SL's, that would form a nice chapter. Please post photos, we could do an article on the meeting in Pagoda World.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 09:12:57 »
Hello all,
The first official meeting for our Dubai chapter took place today. A very big thank you goes to Andre who organized it.
Attending were Andre, Nirmal, Abbas, and myself. We discussed various topics including problems, parts, maintenance, mechanics, and restoration in general.
Although there were only 2 cars presnt we manage to contact another Pagoda owner who promissed to attend the next gathering. We are also anticipating the arrival of Abbas's car from the US in February.
The meeting was followed by a drive to Max Garage, a nice facility in Dubai where they have some nice classics. We will keep you posted as to our next activities.
I am trying to attach some of the pics I took but I'm having problems. I keep getting an error. Any suggestions?

Mo
'69 280 SL, Silver/Black/Black

nirmal

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 09:53:55 »
Thanks Andre and it was great to meet you guys. This weekend we plan to photograph our cars against  the background of the Burj Al Arab- a landmark of Dubai.
Nirmal
69 white sl auto
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 04:09:26 by nirmal »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 10:59:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mo

I am trying to attach some of the pics I took but I'm having problems. I keep getting an error. Any suggestions?
Mo,
Congratualtions on the meeting!  It must have been fun.  Does this help with your pictures?
http://index.php?topic=12

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:19:35 »
Mo,
quote:
Max Garage, a nice facility in Dubai where they have some nice classics.

Is the owner of this garage called Vijay?

I believe thats the garage I visited with my cousin last month.

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

rob walker

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 18:43:18 »
Mo, Andre. Max's garage was also going when I lived there in the mid 90's and was always a good source of classics and assistance for them at the time. However in the 90's driving around Dubai was also easy with little traffic unlike the present situation. I remember there used to be a wonderful road from Jebel Ali back to Al Aweer that I used to take my classic Porsche, on Friday mornings early, also there was a great driving road to either Ras Al Kaimah or Fujeirah cant remember which, that the Dubai Classic Car Club used.
Do you still have the annual Classic Car Club Meeting?
Working for DPA (now DP World) I will be going to Dubai in the next 2 months so will let you know the dates nearer the time so we can get together.

Rob Walker

1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
2004 230 SLK silver

nirmal

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 22:07:22 »
Yes Naj. The owner of Max Garage is Vijay and I purchased my car through him. He will be helping us to restore a 1959 Mercedes 300d  which should be arriving in mid February. Sorry to have missed you in Dubai and I look forward to meeting you and Rob on your next visit to Dubai.

Rob the traffic in Dubai is bad during peak hours but it is still great driving on the desert highways during the weekends. Been here since the late seventies so have seen the entire change.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 04:10:39 by nirmal »

n/a

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 01:21:40 »
Rob,
Would love to meet with you when you're in town. Let me know when you're coming.
Cheers
Mo

rob walker

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 01:06:51 »
Nirmal..late seventies, your a lucky man. Not sure how I managed to trade Dubai for Seoul, could not be too different plus and the worst part, I cannot get my Pagoda into the country.
We had very senior Emiratie here last week the 30 deg C difference in temperature was severe for them.

Rob Walker

2004 230 SLK silver

rob walker

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:08:42 »
Mo, will advise you on dates, would love to get to see you all and take a run over the old roads in a Pagoda.

Rob Walker

2004 230 SLK silver