Author Topic: HELP! How to remove the speedometer  (Read 6824 times)

r.bartl

HELP! How to remove the speedometer
« on: January 28, 2006, 16:18:46 »
want to get my speedometer out (palo alto is waiting to service it), but everything I searched is "to take out radio and glove compartment to reach the speedometer". sounds pretty easy but seems to be more difficut for me as this is my first attempt.

1. I have a white metal bracket in the way and don't know how to reach the instrument from here.

2. Is it a nut or a screw to remove or get a cable out first?

3. any ideas, where there is a drawing, picture or "step by step" instructions for beginners?

any help is appreciated.

thx.
roman

I have reserved this weekend for this project.
this is my current situation:
Download Attachment: IMG_282.jpg
64.9 KB

230SL, 1967
ivory with chocolate brown top

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: HELP! How to remove the speedometer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 16:59:16 »
The way I did it was from the left: first the tachometer, then the center cluster instrument, then the speedometer is easy. Of course, the tach and center cluster instrument are not so easy (watch out for the temp meter capillary tube). Getting the speedo out from the right hand side should work as well, I suppose, just have not tried it that way.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 17:25:54 »
Roman,
removing the speedo is a pain in the rear.  be prepared to spend some time and some scrapes.
like cees said, start with the tach, reach up behind the dash, unscrew the tach cable, then there is a nut that holds a bracket that secures the tach.  the will probably be a ground cable on under neath the nut.
remove the tach, then sitting in the drivers seat reach in the tach hole and remove the nut holding the center instrument cluster and the electrical plug.  note: there is a line to the oil pressure guage and a line to the temp guage, carefully push the cluster to out of the dash a few inches.   do not push too hard as you can damage the oil and capillary line.
then, reach around and unscrew the speedo cable, nut that holds the bracket, and there may also be a ground wire beneath this nut as well.

when re assembling, be carefule not to short out the light bulbs on the brackets that secure the tach and speedo. I eneded up taking some electrical tape and "insulating" the bracket from the areas where  the light bullbs could contact the metal.
ALSO, take some tape, and wrap a little around each of the securing nuts so that each has a small tail of tape.  that way if you drop the nut, and you will, you can grab it.
I have dropped the nuts before and ended up taking all the guages out to find the nut had fallen behind the dash underneath the ignition switch.  This tip will end up saving you a lot of time if you drop a nut.

take your time, and have patience, I hate removing the guages, but after a few times it is not that bad.

be sure to do any other projects behind the dash once you have the guages out, trust me and others, you only want to remove the guages once if you can.

Hi Cees!!

Matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 20:31:22 »
Hello Roman,

Removing the steering wheel first will save you time and make the job much easier. It can be removed in just a few minutes.

Pop the center pad off the wheel by pulling straight off. There is a 22mm nut inside holding the wheel in place. Use a 22mm 1/2" drive socket (7/8" socket will work also), and breaker bar or large ratchet handle to remove the nut. A second person may have to hold the steering wheel while breaking the nut loose. After the nut is removed the steering wheel will lift off (no puller required). Two horn wires will need to be unfastened and your done! Plenty of room to work and your visibility is much better also.

For installation pay attention to the slash mark on the column end and the corresponding slash mark inside the steering wheel hub. Slide the big washer down the shaft of a screwdriver onto the threaded steering shaft. Use some tape to hold the 22mm in your socket while getting it started on the threaded shaft.

Good Luck!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 20:32:56 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)