Author Topic: cheap R18 injection pump 280sl ebay  (Read 3589 times)

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
cheap R18 injection pump 280sl ebay
« on: February 05, 2006, 07:53:29 »
ebay item 8034187443 is a reasonably clean-looking injection pump if anybody needs one - it may be good, may not. I'm pretty sure it would fit a 280sl or se.

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

n/a

Re: cheap R18 injection pump 280sl ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 17:07:13 »
DaveB

Thanks for the heads up on the R18 IP.  I believe the R 18 pump was used mostly on the 250 engines.  

I would only buy a used IP on ebay or anywhere else as a core for a rebuild.  Any pump that is taken off and not properly stored will be seized up and will need a rebuild or at least a very careful cleaning.  This is true even if the pump was working properly when removed.  I suspect that more pumps are rendered inoperable from gasoline drying out and causing the pump to seize than from use.  Anyway, let the buyer beware.  

Iverson

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 21:34:59 »
Thanks Iverson. What would be the best way to store a pump? I think I read somewhere that kerosene run through them prior to storage can help stop them going bad.

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

A Dalton

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 05:35:06 »
<< I believe the R 18 pump was used mostly on the 250 engines>>

Correct .. and only on the 129 engine.[ .043 chassis]
 That is the last series of oil res. pumps.  Getting rare and probably worth the $$ it went for .  Looked like it may even been stored correctly as it had caps on the check-valve/fittings.......

n/a

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 20:32:11 »
Dave B

Most anything you can do to keep out foreign particles and to keep the pump from drying out would be acceptable.   One way would be to remove the pump and plug all the openings and thoroughly clean the outside of the pump.  Then remove the plugs and submerge the pump in a light weight oil, cover and store.  The pump can be stored indefinitely this way, and be in a usable condition when needed.  I would NOT recommend anything like carb cleaner, fuel oil, Marvel Mystery oil or anything else that could destroy the "rubber" seals.   This may be an overkill but is is effective.  I am ssure you can think of other ways that would be just as effective.  

I like to store things like injectors in carb cleaner or Marvel Mystery Oil.  This will help loosen up any crud in or on the injectors.  This soaking along with a trip through an ultrasonic cleaner will generally leave the injectors bright and shinny, and  servicable.  And, occasionally a defective injector can be salvaged this way.  

Any wayg Good luck

Iverson

Ben

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 02:53:26 »
Out of curiosity...............where would one buy these plugs to blank off the openings ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Ricardo

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 08:21:38 »
Hydraulic shops carry them over here, but you should be able to get them from parts suppliers too....