Author Topic: Soft top rivets  (Read 3933 times)

sterl

Soft top rivets
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:50:42 »
Can anyone tell me what type and size of rivets I should use to fit the straps to the front bow of the soft top, and what sort of tool I need for fitting them?  The existing rivets are flat on the top and bottom so are not the normal kind of pop rivet. I didn't get any with my new straps.

Thanks,
Mark

Billericay, Essex, UK
Late 67 LHD 250SL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Soft top rivets
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 08:28:59 »
Mark,
There were never any rivets used on the soft top frames.  The two straps you refer to are held by tiny screws with countersunk type washers.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

sterl

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 12:11:21 »
Hi Walter,
That's interesting because I've read in other places on this forum that the long straps are riveted in place. I'm talking here about the pair of fabric (with some elastic) longitudinal straps that disappear into the front of the frame but, on my car at least, are riveted to a 'loose' metal bar on the underside of the top about 3 inches back from the front frame section. Maybe my initial post was a bit misleading!  I think you may be referring to the outer screws on the 2 front corners of the top to which a wire is connected.
Thanks,
Mark

Billericay, Essex, UK
Late 67 LHD 250SL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 12:16:47 »
Mark,
I see the thin rod that sits between the front bow and the second big heavy bow right above the heads.  That bar is riveted to the heavy canvas straps that are screwed to the front bow and the 2nd bow.  The rivets, should be big enough to go through the holes of the thin bar ends and have a washer of sorts to hold the canvas together, without ripping it apart.  The purpose of the small elastic strips is not known to me.
Hopefully this will help.
Thanks for the clarification.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:18:36 »
Hi, Mark,
Sorry cannot help you with your query. Checked parts book last nite but no rivets listed. I have not tinkered with soft tops either!

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Pagoda on this side of the pond [:p]

Are you a member of the UK MB club?

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 12:44:46 »
Hi Mark,

I think with the attached photo one can see the rivets that you are referring to.  This is a photo of my frame after I removed the old canvas and did some clean up.  I decided to simply clean my straps, instead of replacing them, prior to getting my new canvas installed.  I was told by the installer that he would not be able to make this look original again once he removed the rivets...

Hope the pic helps!
Bob

Download Attachment: softop.jpg
67.48 KB

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

TA250SL

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 20:59:06 »
I would ask Gernold at SL Tech.  He has restored many soft tops and would be a good source of parts and information.  

www.sltechw113.com

Tom
Early 1967 250SL
Euro version    
Los Angeles

sterl

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 03:38:05 »
Thanks for the info everybody. Will follow up the leads.

Naj - yes, I joined the UK MB club last year.

Mark.

Billericay, Essex, UK
Late 67 LHD 250SL