Author Topic: soft top  (Read 2948 times)

n/a

soft top
« on: February 08, 2006, 20:59:32 »
what is a good source and how difficult is a new canvas to install.

KevinC

Re: soft top
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 22:05:23 »
David,

Try the search tool on the upper right of this page and type "soft top" or "canvas". Here in the US, World Upholstery and GAHH seem to provide good tops. There are quite a few options in the "links" listing on the home page, too.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

113gray

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 18:38:22 »
My understanding is that Will Samples in Dallas (S&S Imports) supplies wonderful quality soft tops. His reputation is beyond reproach. So a quality top is available; the trick is to find an installer to match!      -JP-

hauser

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 19:51:06 »
You can try the search feature on the GAHH page for installers in your area.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 11:52:47 »
Millers (www.millermbz.com) has German Canvas tops on sale for $415 currently.  If you need all the rubber replaced -- the cost will be $555 including top and rubber.  It appears that the German Canvas is best and what most of Pagoda owners prefer.  I am having a top installed in Atlanta next week.  The cost will be $950 (top and installation).  My rubber is perfect so I don't need to change it.  Personally, I think it is worth every penny to have the top installed professionally.  I've been told it is a royal pain in the butt to install and I wouldn't want to take chances.

If you decide to have you top professionally installed, you may want to discuss the purchase of a top with them first.  Some may insist on buying it themselves, in which case I would certainly discuss the quality of top they plan on using.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 13:59:56 »
I second JP on paying a reputable shop to install the top. I would ask the shop what brands they use -- then make sure it is one of that we all approve of  ;) . Get the best, don't skimp on this.

To quote JA17 in an earler post:

"Some good quality aftermarket tops come from K&K Manufacturing, Bud's Benz, Electron Top Co., Robbins Top Co., and Bill Hearsh, Millers.

Insist on original German material inside and out. The best price you will find, uless you get lucky, will be around $350.00 to $400.00.

Proper instalation of the top will have the biggest impact on quality."

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL