Author Topic: VIN TRACKING  (Read 3813 times)

keesing

VIN TRACKING
« on: February 11, 2006, 08:33:22 »
I know that it has been covered before... I cannot locate topic information on Vehicle Identification Number tracking. Seems like I remember reading posts on how and where to track vehicle history on a vintage MB through its VIN... can anyone direct me to the right place???
 :?:  :)

DATA & History... car most recently titled in New York (?).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 12:36:31 by keesing »

KevinC

Re: VIN TRACKING
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 11:48:21 »
Lots of discssion on this...use the search tool for "datacard" or "data card". You will have to contact the MB Classic Center to obtain the card for your car. One you have this in hand, you will need to decipher the codes for your car, but you should find this info during your search(es). Also, the "database" link on our home page will help you nail down when your car was produced.

Good luck!
Kevin

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 12:09:48 »
Well, I am wondering if Keesing means, the original info on the car as it was delivered (datacard) or the vehicle's history (as in prior ownership details)? If the former, yes -- tons of info here on how to obtain and decipher datacards. Recommend you get yours. If the latter, its my understanding that this varies state by state.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Chad

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 15:35:39 »
In case you are looking for service history, etc... I believe MB only can provide info regarding warranty work done and any service done at a particular dealer/service center, if the car has been there before and they kept older records. A VIN would not bring up all work done by MB on your car at any and all MB service centers. Other than that I think the VIN pretty much is useful for the Datacard, which is about the build. Paul Heule at Classic Center I think in NJ will fax/mail/email you your datacard, you must provide a title copy if you want the key codes - he did for me. paul.heule (AT) mbusa.com
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 22:25:19 by Chad »

KevinC

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 16:59:18 »
HISTORY - There is an outside service called carfax.com that gives you historical information by VIN but they don't have records for cars as old as ours  :(  . I dont know of another service but others might.

DATA (original options, key codes, color, etc) - The data card and MB classic center is the way to go  :)  .

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

keesing

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 10:26:53 »
I am soooo impressed... on Sunday I emailed paul.heule@mbusa.com requesting a DataCard - Monday morning by 8:00am I received it by email from Paul! Talk about SERVICE!!  [:0]

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 18:53:51 »
Keesing,
Go here (or should I say Go here!) to decipher your data card.

http://www.sl113.org/data/

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 18:54:53 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"