Author Topic: Broken soft top latch stud  (Read 3195 times)

sterl

Broken soft top latch stud
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:08:55 »
I've discovered that one of the upper studs supporting the rear soft top latch has sheared off. Unfortunately, both upper studs are barely accessible from the trunk. Even if it was accessible I'm not sure I could knock the broken one out nor get a new one in as it seems sweated in. Has anybody had the same problem and found a solution? Are replacements available?

Thanks,
Mark.

Billericay, Essex, UK
Late 67 LHD 250SL

jeffc280sl

Re: Broken soft top latch stud
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 15:14:37 »
Mark,

Can you provide some more details concerning the location of the broken stud?

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

sterl

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:22:37 »
Jeff,

Here's a pic of the broken stud inside the soft top compartment.  It's the top left one and it's broken roughly flush with the face of the latch. Hope the picture comes out OK.

Mark.

Billericay, Essex, UK
Late 67 LHD 250SL

sterl

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 12:36:58 »
Jeff,

Sorry - seems I'm unable to post a picture at the moment. Anyway, it's the top left of the four studs securing the soft top latch, when viewed from within the soft top compartment.

Thanks,
Mark.

Billericay, Essex, UK
Late 67 LHD 250SL

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 15:00:15 »
Hi Mark,

I understand the issue now.  The center latch assembly under the tonneu cover which secures the rear center pin of the soft top is held in place by four nuts.  The nuts are connected to studs which are press/sweat mounted in the trunk compartment side of the soft top well which then protrude into well area.

On the trunk side the two top stud heads are covered by a trunk spring bracket which appears to be spot welded into place. I don't see anyway short of removing the bracket spot welds to gain access to the stud head.   If it were me I would drill out the broken stud from the soft top well side.  I would extend the drill bit through the spring bracket in the trunk for reference.  From the trunk side using the reference hole I would drill a larger hole through the bracket only so that I could insert a short bolt from the trunk side to replace the broken stud.

I'll bet you have already considered this.  I just don't see a way to easily replace the stud.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed