Author Topic: early 230 sl interiors  (Read 2807 times)

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
early 230 sl interiors
« on: February 26, 2006, 09:10:20 »
Can anyone tell me where is the best place to buy a leather interior for a 230 sl.  Can you give me the pros and cons for different places.  I checked the price with GAHH and they were much more expensive then Buds Benz.  How is world Up., millers and rons restoration.   Thank you

JohnS
JohnS

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
Re: early 230 sl interiors
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 10:25:27 »
John,

I'm certainly not an interior expert, but I did replace mine last year.  I checked many sources and ended up with Ron Rabon at Ron's Restorations.  In fact I just sent a door panel back to Ron for some fine tuning.  I've found his pricing to be fair and the real kicker for me was that I could pick up the phone and talk to Ron directly.  Simple things like, walking me through which pieces to put back on the car first was a big help.  He has a small personal shop which I found refreshing compared to some of the big boys.  I shipped all my pieces, including the seats to Ron and he recovered and sent them back.  It all worked well.  I have a cognac interior.  I've discovered that one man's cognac does not another make.  They all have different graining in the leather (blaming the cow, not the supplier) and the dye process can be very different supplier to supplier. (no fault of the cow!)  Ron sent me several swatches so I could find exactly the cow and the dye I wanted.  I don't think he would 'steer' you wrong!:)

Anyway, I think it's worth your nickle.

Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 20:30:38 »
Thanks for your reply.  The black interior I have came from his shop and I agree with you it is best to have the professional install it.  Thanks for your feedback, John

JohnS
JohnS

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 20:55:05 »
Hi John. I was hesitant to pitch in since I have MB-Tex and not leather. But maybe my 2 cents will help someone...I bought the seat kit from Miller's and had it installed by an upholstery shop. I'd say it turned out fabulous. Still looks like new 8 years later.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL