Author Topic: Amelia Island Concours '06  (Read 3171 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Amelia Island Concours '06
« on: March 12, 2006, 21:55:05 »
It was a spectacular day here in North Florida.  82 degrees Farenheit, crystal blue skies and a record crowd to see the 300 diverse cars in the show.  It is rare to see a Pagoda at this invitation only show.  There are always a few 300 SLs and often a 190, but this is the first Pagoda I've seen.  

This '67 250SL is the newest additon to Brumos Museum collection.  The dealership took the car as a trade in last year giving $6,500.  I'm told it was a little rough.  The car is now a magnificent black with red interior.  Because the owner is a MB dealer, he could get everything.  Even had the tire changing instruction card wired in the trunk.  

Download Attachment: Amelia Concours 2006 250-1.jpg
73.83 KB

Download Attachment: Amelia Concours 2006 250-2.jpg
68.41 KB

Download Attachment: Amelia Concours 2006 250-3.jpg
72.99 KB

If any of you find yourself in the Jacksonville area next March, plan on spending a day at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.  All of the proceeds benefit Community Hospice and Spina Bifida, and you won't meet a finer group of real car guys.  (I asked a few women if they considered themselves "car guys" and every one said they did.)

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Amelia Island Concours '06
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 10:39:36 »
Doug, you said that the catch inside the trunk (boot) lid should be body color.   :?:  Mine has never been painted.  Why would it be?

Ed, and all others, next time you plan to come to the Amelia Concours, shoot an e-mail to me.  If I know you're coming, I can set us up in the VIP lot and have a Pagoda party before the show.

Amelia is a special show, several of the people I interviewed including Ed Hermann, Brian Redman, Johnny Rutherford, George Barris and Barry Meguiar simply raved about it.  A few even said it had surpassed Pebble Beach.  Meguiar says they provide some soponsorship for 5,000 car shows a year and said, "Ameilia Island is the best money we spend."  Put it on your calendars for next year.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray

dwilli3038

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 15:22:33 »
I echo all the superlatives given concerning this event.  :D . The Peachtree Mercedies group had dinner together Saturday night and the National Prsident and Vice president joined us for a great time. In additon to the wonderful clasics, there were some new cars displayed, I was able to get behind the wheel of a Mercedes McClaren SLR (unfortunatly they did not let me have the keys). The cars were so specatacular that I filled my 1 Gig card on my digital camera.

Daryl
'64 230 SL
Serial # 508

Ed Cave

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 15:02:26 »
Received the July/August issue of AUTO Aficionado today; they've got a couple of pages (82-84) on the 2006 Amelia Concours. The largest, primary photo in the article clearly shows in the foreground the back end of that black over red 250SL with its hard top parked on the stand behind the car.

On the next page is a photo of that 1970 MB C-111, which I still have a hard time believing Mercedes built in 1970, at almost exactly the same time they were building my Pagoda!

The May /June issue of Motor Trend Classic probably my favorite new automobile magazine has also has a spread on this years Amelia concours. It was like playing "Where's Waldo" but I did in fact find myself and best friend in the big picture that probably has 30 cars and 250 people scattered around in it.

If you subscribe to either of these, check them out. If you don't, a glance at the newsstand is about all these articles/photos are worth so I'm not necessarily suggesting you run out and purchase copies.

If you haven't checked out Motor Trend Classic however, you should. If you enjoy older cars beyond the Mercedes marque, mostly post WWII era, you’ll probably enjoy it as much as I do.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 01:01:25 »
Hi guys,

I too consider myself a car guy.  We'll be in SF in March next year and might be able to swing by Sarasota (and hence NFl) on our way back to Europe.  We'd love to attend Amelia but will need to plan far ahead.  It would be fun to have a Pagoda get-together!

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 16:59:08 »
March 9 to 11, 2007 If you can make it, let us know.  There are at least four Pagodas in the Sougthern Stars Section of MBCA in and around Amelia & Jacksonville.  I bet we could get something put together.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray